Oil pressure oddity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test fit the socket(on the filter i was buying) when I was at Walmart...to make sure I got the right one. otherwise i guess a strap style would work.

Metal straps are tough in there. Rubber one is easier. I bought the thing off amazon, nice aluminum piece. Gave no thought to number of pleats on filter are different across brands. Not a fan of those GM eco filters but GM uses them to protect their engines. K&Ns just went up from $8 to $11 or $13 or more. Oil change coming up soon.

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
Update, so dealership did confirm a bad oil filter. The filter that the previous dealership put on has no name or part number. New fikter, fresh oil, took it on a 30 min drive, and oil pressure never got below 40

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
SOOOOOOOO, here we are again. Same issue has manifested itself this weekend. This thing drives me nuts. Is it possible the by pass valve in the pump is sticking? Oil pressure drops the warmer the engine gets. At cold I got about 42, once up to operating temp it was about 5.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOOOOOOOO, here we are again. Same issue has manifested itself this weekend. This thing drives me nuts. Is it possible the by pass valve in the pump is sticking? Oil pressure drops the warmer the engine gets. At cold I got about 42, once up to operating temp it was about 5.

Screen under oil pressure sensor been changed? You can try changing the spring but you'll probably have to change the whole pump.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert

my opinion is to verify actual pressure with a mechanical gauge, i would hate to think that your only access is the sending unit itself as that is in a bugger location? At 5 psi is it making any top/bottom noise ie, lifter/rods? at 5 psi it may be enough for bearings but i would think the lifters would start to collapse and get noisy? Also based upon the fact that it acted completely normal for a period of time after the oil/filter change i would guess sending unit/erratic signal to DIC.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I did my sensor and screen replacement, the oil pressure dropped again, I had to do one more flush and oil change new oil filter. I haven't heard from it since it's been a while.

I presume my switching to synthetic loosened some gunk, and blocked the oil sensor filter again.

Other than that, it sounds like the symptoms of a bad oil pickup tube o-ring.(slow drop off of pressure as it warms up)

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing this thread when it was originally posted, but just read through it all and kept thinking ‘sounds like maybe pickup tube O ring’.

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
Yes the screen was changed when I replaced the sensor. The old screen wasnt really that dirty, but knowing how hard it is to replace the sensor, I figured might as well change it while I'm there. Last time and this time, when the pressure dropped to next to nothing, the engine was quiet, no lifter tick or weird noises. The dealership assured me last time that even though this warning happened, and the gauge read zero, that I had good oil pressure in the motor. All they did was change the oil and presto, it was good. For a few months st least.....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the screen was changed when I replaced the sensor. The old screen wasnt really that dirty, but knowing how hard it is to replace the sensor, I figured might as well change it while I'm there. Last time and this time, when the pressure dropped to next to nothing, the engine was quiet, no lifter tick or weird noises. The dealership assured me last time that even though this warning happened, and the gauge read zero, that I had good oil pressure in the motor. All they did was change the oil and presto, it was good. For a few months st least.....

Since you took it to the dealer, I would presume that they put another AC Delco eco filter on it. Why don't you change this out with a K&N filter and see how that affects the oil pressure, if any?

I purposely left out the Mobil 1 filter because it's been noticed in my own vehicle to lower the oil pressure slightly which won't help your testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt