Oil pressure oddity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
I would assume so. But I dont have a clue what filter was on there the first time, as I bought it used from a Lexus dealership. With the most recent oil change they said it was a no name filter with no part numbers or anything on it.

Wolfbraid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I did my sensor and screen replacement, the oil pressure dropped again, I had to do one more flush and oil change new oil filter. I haven't heard from it since it's been a while.

I presume my switching to synthetic loosened some gunk, and blocked the oil sensor filter again.

Other than that, it sounds like the symptoms of a bad oil pickup tube o-ring.(slow drop off of pressure as it warms up)

Go Figure after I post this... now my oil pressure is acting up again.
I blame the Torque App and ELM Adapter I bought...
too many 0-60 launches... oh well it's time for another oil change anyway, gonna try a new engine flush.(anyone had a favorite?)

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
gonna try a new engine flush.(anyone had a favorite?)
TBH I've had best results just from changing the oil a bit more often if needed.

Last vehicle ('99 passat) was sludged up to hell. Ran diesle 5w40 in it, changed when it got dark. Couple months of 300-400 mile oil changes later, it started to keep a normal interval around 3k.

Took that chance to run every damn flush under the sun I could find, ranging from seafoam to stuff that smelled like paint thinner. None of 'em came out dark or otherwise indicated they did much of anything.

Had the valve cover off and while there wasn't any more sludge coating, there was a good layer of dark varnish throughout. None of the cleaners touched it.

So yeah.. Just change your oil a bit more often if you need cleaning. Perhaps look into diesel oil on account of some extra detergents/dispersants in it. Seems to be as effective, but also less risky. You won't have any solvents loosening bits of crud that are in the engine, beyond what the oil can safely dissolve, only to have them plug your pickup screen.

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
Problem is, I maybe put on 6000 miles a year, so in 2 months I put 400 to 500 miles a month. So this oil maybe had 1000 miles on it. It's just weird that a prolonged trip in the warmest weather of the year that this happens.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOOOOOOOO, here we are again. Same issue has manifested itself this weekend. This thing drives me nuts. Is it possible the by pass valve in the pump is sticking? Oil pressure drops the warmer the engine gets. At cold I got about 42, once up to operating temp it was about 5.
just put some Motorkote...

using cheap STP filter that came with it (when i bought it) 70PSI cold and 50-55PSI warmed up
Burning No Oil/None lost it has about 1500 miles on the current oil change... still at the full line
But there is Zero Sludge in my engine... As it was well taken care of...

mine is probably one of the few motors that don't burn any oil
aka built on a Wednesday...

but it was a early production (01/2008 built date) so the quality control was better for the early production 2008.. normally it goes down hill after that.

since GM did not want to lose money on warranty claims... since pretty much the early production was each sold at a loss.. just the transmission Cost $10,000 to build, that is 1/5th the cost of the suv :eek::eek::eek: for one part

yeah two 60kw motors are expansive that accounted for 80-85% of the cost of the transmission...

The first owner was a millionaire from Beverly Hills, 90210 They bought it right out.. :Whoa: no loan..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume so. But I dont have a clue what filter was on there the first time, as I bought it used from a Lexus dealership. With the most recent oil change they said it was a no name filter with no part numbers or anything on it.

Well, get that out of there and put a K&N in it. Don't bother with changing the oil, just the filter. But do put some oil in the new filter as you install it.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Go Figure after I post this... now my oil pressure is acting up again.
I blame the Torque App and ELM Adapter I bought...
too many 0-60 launches... oh well it's time for another oil change anyway, gonna try a new engine flush.(anyone had a favorite?)

Kreen from Kano Labs. Run it for 500-1000 miles before an oil change.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kreen from Kano Labs. Run it for 500-1000 miles before an oil change.
I tried kreen. Now it was the last thing I tried, so I cant say how effective it was, but I feel that the quart of transmission fluid was just as effective as kreen [could] have been. It also only cost about 3 bucks.

OP
OP
Tahoehybrid18

Tahoehybrid18

Reaction score
So update, after talking with the service writer at the dealership, he suggested I flush the engine and change the oil and filter again. So I did that tonight. A few observations.... one when running the flush, oil pressure still sucked, 20 at idle warm. Checked oil level before flush, was full according to dipstick. Drained oil, oil didn't look too bad, I poured it into some containers for disposal, and came out to about 6 qts, so all good there. The filter is a PITA if you don't have the right wrench, which I didn't. There was a lot of oil leakage around the filter and the bottom of the oil pan. I had just recently started to notice a leak. The filter was extremely hard to get loose, but it eventually came off. Changed the filter, filled the oil, and fired her up. And wouldn't you know, 60 psi at idle, about 50 warm idle, and never lower then 50 while taking it for a little cruise. I don't get what happened here? Will I be stuck in this oil change cycle forever? Was the filter clogged, or bad? I just doesn't make a lot of sense to me that new oil is the solution, when the old oil had about 900 miles on it.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
This is ******' weird

Verify for me: Oil pressure good when changed, tapers off to bad until next change, at which point it's good?

I have 2 thoughts floating through my head on this one:

1. Fuel dilution. ****** injector would be prime suspect here. Does the oil smell gassy?
2. Oil shear down. Little unusual, but anything's possible I suppose.

What oil and filter are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157