Oil line to air intake tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Poking around in my engine and came across this line that hooks to the air intake tube. It is oily and looks like it has leaked oil around the area in the past. What is it? Is it okay to leak?

IMG-2545.JPG

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs from a metal tube a little forward of halfway on the valve cover to the intake tube. I wouldn't worry about it leaking so much as the amount of oil you have in/on it. Mine doesn't have wet oil in it. Really, I can't tell if there's ANY oily residue in the hose at all. It seems your engine has a lot of blow-by. High or hard mileage? Your PCV valve may be clogged. I also suggest you get the updated driver's side valve cover and a catch can.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
That is referred to as the "Clean side" of the PCV system.

The "Dirty side" comes off of the drivers side valve cover and runs to the top of the intake plenum where it gets a vacuum from which draws air into the clean side from the intake tube..down through the passenger side head... into the crank case... back up through the drivers side head and into the intake plenum.

This is what causes so much oil build up in the manifold.

A catch can on the dirty side is a must IMO.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs from a metal tube a little forward of halfway on the valve cover to the intake tube. I wouldn't worry about it leaking so much as the amount of oil you have in/on it. Mine doesn't have wet oil in it. Really, I can't tell if there's ANY oily residue in the hose at all. It seems your engine has a lot of blow-by. High or hard mileage? Your PCV valve may be clogged. I also suggest you get the updated driver's side valve cover and a catch can.

High mileage, yes 205000. Hard mileage, I suppose. Dry mountain driving. I have heard about the PCV, any good resources for cleaning that up? Is there a stock update for the valve cover I take it? I will also look into a catch can.

That is referred to as the "Clean side" of the PCV system.

The "Dirty side" comes off of the drivers side valve cover and runs to the top of the intake plenum where it gets a vacuum from which draws air into the clean side from the intake tube..down through the passenger side head... into the crank case... back up through the drivers side head and into the intake plenum.

This is what causes so much oil build up in the manifold.

A catch can on the dirty side is a must IMO.

Thanks for the info! Learn something new about these trucks every day. I will look into the catch can. Any recommendations?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
High mileage, yes 205000. Hard mileage, I suppose. Dry mountain driving. I have heard about the PCV, any good resources for cleaning that up? Is there a stock update for the valve cover I take it? I will also look into a catch can.

Thanks for the info! Learn something new about these trucks every day. I will look into the catch can. Any recommendations?

A lot of guys (including me) use www.catchcans.com, but there are many other setups out there.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

This is the one I went with...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332537359812

I did add some extra filtering media (green scrubby and stainless steel wool) as I know some others have as well.

Pics of the catch can and my extra filter media are in my "Mod" thread...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...urb-ltz-mod-thread.100141/page-5#post-1208710

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts