Oil level after first complimentary maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

padosd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I already know my answer, but I though I would put this out there for people to chime in on the issue of some dealers overfilling the engine during servicing.

Does anyone know just how much my engine is over filled? Should I be worried about any damage this may cause?

The reading was taken inside the garage that is fully level. Temperature was 12 C inside. The truck ran for 40 Km then sat for 2 hours. I took out the dipstick as soon as I parked it in the garage. Since this dipstick is spiralled, it carries all kinds of oil into the dipstick tube whereby making the reading difficult. So I opted to have it out and cleaned before I checked it. The reading attached is my first check.

IMG_0341.JPG

2016 GMC Yukon Denali, 6.2L

brendon444

Reaction score
What quantity of oil does your bill show they put in. These engines used to call for 8.5 quarts but gm reduced this to 8.0 due to a change in filter.
This is from 2015 and looking at the 2016 owners manual it also calls for 8.0

DATE

05/11/2015

SUBJECT

The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter Has Changed

MODELS

2014 – 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, GMC Yukon, Sierra, Denali Equipped with GEN V V8 Engines - 5.3L RPO L83, 5.3L RPO L8B or 6.2L RPO L86

TO

Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC Dealers

ATTN

Parts and Service Director, Parts Manager, Parts Counter Personnel, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Service Technician, and Fleet and Commercial Managers

The Engine Oil Capacity – with Oil Filter for all GEN V, V8 5.3L and 6.2L engines has been reduced from 8.5 quarts to 8.0 quarts.

This change has been implemented in SI and will be reflected in future Owner Manuals.

Thank you for your cooperation.

OP
OP
P

padosd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The bill shows 8.0 quart. During servicing it was pretty cold out and had to leave truck for an airbag update as well. I am thinking the oil was cold and didn't drain completely. Would anyone know how much extra oil is in the engine based on the dipstick reading? 1/2 quart? 1 full quart or more?

thebishman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would call the SA back and explain the situation. Tell them you want to bring the truck back in when it's warmed up, have the oil drained and refilled, or at least a portion drained so that the overfill can be corrected. If you're told it won't harm the engine as is, ask for that in writing and signed by the service manager.

BigBlueLB756

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Fumoto F107N valve makes "overfill" adjustments really easy.
Of course, if you change your own oil and filter, an overfill is a thing of the past.

IceIceSilver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Easiest self-fix would be to pull the excess oil out via the dipstick tube using a vacuum extractor.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always known of the holes in the dipstick to indicate "full" and "one quart low". So, if the oil is at the lower hole, it should take one quart to fill it to the upper hole. Going by this, yours looks to be about a quart overfilled.

You can drain one quart through the drain plug, it's just a bit of a slow process. If you remove the plug completely, you have to drain all of the oil before you can put the plug back in (or you'll get really messy). Break the plug loose with a wrench then back it out by hand while keeping inward pressure on it. Back it out slowly until the oil is running out in a steady, controllable stream. Remember to maintain inward pressure the whole time. If you let off or your fingers slip, you're gonna make a mess. Drain the oil into a clean container until you have about a quart in it. Tighten the drain plug and check the oil level. If you're now too low, you can just put that oil back into it.

If it were me, I'd keep the oil to top off between changes if yours burns oil like pretty much any other LS engine.

OP
OP
P

padosd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies. The dealer drained some of the extra oil. They said that it was within tolerances and that the little bit extra wouldn't harm the engine. They also showed me on their computer PIP5231A described below. I am guessing their tech was using old 8.5 quart specs.

gmLogoFlat.gif
Service Information

Document ID: 3998244
#PIP5231A: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill - (Oct 9, 2014)
Subject: Concern of engine oil dipstick indicating an overfill

999999995.gif
Models: 2015 Cadillac Escalade 2014-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Suburban, Tahoe 2014-2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Yukon with engines 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86
This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIP5231.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

The Engine oil dipstick indicates an overfill when performing a PDI or after an oil and filter change.

Recommendation/Instructions

Typically you will find the dipstick indicates an overfill of 1/2qt of Engine oil.

There is no need to drain the oil at this time, as this concern will not damage the engine nor affect operation.

When it is time for the oil change, fill with the recommended amount of engine oil as specified in SI

SI has been updated with the engine oil (with filter) fill specification of 8 quarts or 7.57 Liters for 5.3L, 6.2L RPO's L83, L86 engines in the models lists above.

Note: The correct “full” mark is the upper dimple and the “add” mark is the lowest bottom dimple on the Engine oil dipstick

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA