Oil filter leak after 1st change…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasLC

Reaction score
Car has 4,800miles on it now, and we changed it back at 2,000 for a break in type flush.

everything went well, filter tightened right up in its new location on our ‘21 Tahoe. Quite pleased with access to it now actually.

not a drip in the driveway or garage for 2-3 weeks of putting mileage on the vehicle, then the wife started noticing a burning smell a few times that were extremely strong. Wasn’t like your normal breaking in fumes. This was much stronger.

took the car to dealer, they had a brake mechanic look at it first, and he determined there was splattered oil all underneath and he sourced it coming from the oil filter. So they pressure washed and cleaned the whole undercarriage & the inside of all wheels and braises to be safe, gave the vehicle it’s 5k oil change and rotated the tires.

my SA told me the filter was either put on incorrectly or was defective from the factory….I’ve never heard of this in 20years of changing oils on my Tahoe’s, Landcruisers and Chevy Trucks…though the part was a $6 Delco filter which I thought seemed stupid cheap…

so not a splash of oil on the ground, and when checking the dipstick, it showed barely under full…

oil pressure also showed well while driving.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Is it definitely a fluke situation? I love this vehicle and don’t want to have any issues with it..

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I would just monitor the area for further leaks developing or not. If the diagnosis was correct you’ll not have a repeat problem. If the leak returns it’s something else adjacent that they overlooked.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had filters leak due to not being tightened properly at the shop. I have also seen filters that didn’t have the gasket installed properly from the factory and had I not looked, it would have ended up leaking. As stated already, keep an eye on it, but the shop’s explanation seems legit.

OP
OP
T

TexasLC

Reaction score
I have had filters leak due to not being tightened properly at the shop. I have also seen filters that didn’t have the gasket installed properly from the factory and had I not looked, it would have ended up leaking. As stated already, keep an eye on it, but the shop’s explanation seems legit.
Okay good to know. The filter was definitely tightened down appropriately, which is what baffles me. Must have been the gasket on the filter then…[emoji2371].

We pick the vehicle up today and I’ll watch it over the next week to see if it’s leaking anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 - My father in law had this happen when his oil was changed at the stealership on his 21’ Denali. I noticed a drop in my driveway (he thought it was from the a/c) until I crawled underneath to check it out. Filter was loose.

I have also seen the old filter peel off and leave itself stuck to the vehicle, and then you double up gaskets and they will leak for sure. Another possibility....
This is not uncommon when cheap filters are used and nick the new guy forgets to oil the seal. They bake on cause a hell of a mess.

The only two things I’ve personally seen that are worse, were when my sisters BF forgot to install the drain plug before adding fresh oil, and while I was getting new tires mounted a few years back, some kid forgot to install a new oil filter. Didn’t catch it until the owner was in the vehicle.
Both of which are just baffling. I’m guessing they each must have substituted their Wheaties for a big bowl of dumb@$$ that morning.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I cannot tell you how many times, at my shops, customers would say, "Oil changes are easy". I always answered back with, "Yes, if they are done correctly".

It was my 2nd or 3rd oil change ever, with the family vehicle and I left the old filter gasket stuck to the block and did not notice. Started it up and at idle was ok but as soon as I revved the engine, it crapped all over the driveway. From that point forward, I took the old filter down, looked at each and every one of them since then, looking for the old rubber seal. Even if I saw it, I still looked at the block. Plus, my habit is to take a clean rag and wipe the block seal surface clean and dry and then lube, with fresh oil, the new seal. I snugged them up tight and never had a problem of overtightening it.

Hell could have been a seal that looked great but had a slight imperfection in it that could not be seen unless you got close to it. Who the hell knows!

Coveman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve seen oil filters leak from two things; one is from the old gasket being stuck on the engine and the new filter is put on top of of the old gasket (2 gaskets are not better than one). The second is faulty oil filters usually not crimped correctly at the can’s base. normally you see the leak pretty quick thou.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not correctly crimped at the base! Say what?!? That’s a new one for me, but maybe that’s the difference in a cheap filter vs a K&N or Mobil 1.

I cannot tell you how many times, at my shops, customers would say, "Oil changes are easy". I always answered back with, "Yes, if they are done correctly".

Even if I saw it, I still looked at the block. Plus, my habit is to take a clean rag and wipe the block seal surface clean and dry and then lube, with fresh oil, the new seal. I snugged them up tight and never had a problem of overtightening it.
Funny how self screw-ups have a way of teaching us the right way to do things. I am OCD in the same manner. I always wipe everything down really well prior to installing the new filter, just for peace of mine to make sure there are no issues.

Ive also had people tell me I was foolish for “priming” the oil filter prior to install. Granted oil flows through the filter quickly before sending it up to the engine, but if you do enough oil changes over time with an empty filter then eventually it can be detrimental to those internal components.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not correctly crimped at the base! Say what?!? That’s a new one for me, but maybe that’s the difference in a cheap filter vs a K&N or Mobil 1.

Funny how self screw-ups have a way of teaching us the right way to do things. I am OCD in the same manner. I always wipe everything down really well prior to installing the new filter, just for peace of mine to make sure there are no issues.

Ive also had people tell me I was foolish for “priming” the oil filter prior to install. Granted oil flows through the filter quickly before sending it up to the engine, but if you do enough oil changes over time with an empty filter then eventually it can be detrimental to those internal components.
Agree completely and forgot about pouring fresh oil in the new filter. Good call. I do it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts