PF66 oil filter size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RK58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a PF66 filter at a parts store that sells AC parts about 7 months ago just to have for my 2023 Tahoe. I decided to change my oil today as the last change was thru my dealer. I noticed the PF66 that the dealer put on was a smaller diameter than the one I bought 7 months ago, I had to wrap some electrical tape around the filter to get my filter wrench/cup to grab, the new PF66 fit perfectly in my filter cup. Must be a change in supplier for these filters, has any one else come across this?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you 100% sure they were both PF66 filters? To my knowledge nothing has changed. The PF66 is made by Champion Labs and shares a lot of design similarities to the FRAM filter (also made by Champion Labs).

Personally I only run the UPF66R - it's made by Hastings and only a few dollars more on RockAuto.

This is a pretty good video of the different filters available for our 3L Duramax.

OP
OP
R

RK58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes they were both labeled PF66. I used my digital micrometer on both the one the dealer installed was 2.93 and the new one I just installed was 2.98. Not a big difference but enough not to work in my filter cup wrench. I am in Canada so not sure if they are made by different suppliers, I will try and buy a UPF66R in the future.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my oil last night at the garage. I bought 10 oil filters when i first bought the truck for my stash. PF66 AC Delco. A friend bought a used 2020 3.0 and came over a few weeks ago and we changed his oil using one of my filters from 2021. Deal was just get me an AC Delco replacement filter. So last night I was looking at his filter. His new PF66 filter he gave me was from Rockauto and its a slightly different in size and has Chinese writing on the box of an AC Delco filter. If the filter was from Amazon I would know its counterfeit but Rockauto drop ships usually from dealers and has no counterfeit issues that I have ever heard. I think its a different filter and supplier.......which I have seen with AC Delco several times. I will look for the box when i go to the garage tomorrow and take a pic.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filter cup wrenches mostly suck any ways, especially the stamped ones. I use filter pliers to crack them loose and then hand tighten with a rag as tight as I can twist. They don't have to be THAT tight!

UPF66R for me also, just a much higher quality product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts