Not totally sold that the trans is shot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sold that my transmission is in need of replacement. I’ve just hit 124,000 on this truck. The trans. Temps have not gotten above 190 and that was in dead standstill traffic in 90 degree heat.
I’m getting a sluggish throttle response. NO codes, thought throttle body or throttle sensor. Nothing..

What I recently did was drop the trans pan and did the 6 quart change with filter. I found black sludge and used motor oil looking fluid.

I’m thinking of flushing it some more. Pop the upper cooler line and keep refilling until the fluid looks normal

Suggestions???

Also what fluid are you all recommending, synthetic stuff, or just the regular dex6?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dex VI Synthetic is best ... Sounds like the trans has not been serviced regularly.
I wouldn't think that "sluggish" performance really has anything to do with the
trans itself.. If it shifts up and down thru the gears and you can feel the lockup clutch
engaging in the torque converter, it's prob ok.. The weak point of the 6l80e is the
lock up clutch in the torque converter. when it goes it circulated crap all thru the trans
ruining the trans. Maybe this is what is going on, but it's prob too late if that's the case.

Personally, I'd drop the pan again and post up some pics of whats in the pan
and on the magnet.. If it looks better this time, replace the filter, new fluid and send it !

You may be experiencing a VVT issue or just good old maint/tlc stuff like
plugs, wires, filters, etc... Even poor quality gas.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on why you even began with the thought of transmission failure? I don’t see how sluggish throttle response leads there.

It should be easy to discriminate between an engine vs a transmission issue by manipulating the throttle with the transmission in manual and staying in one gear.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dex VI Synthetic is best ... Sounds like the trans has not been serviced regularly.
I wouldn't think that "sluggish" performance really has anything to do with the
trans itself.. If it shifts up and down thru the gears and you can feel the lockup clutch
engaging in the torque converter, it's prob ok.. The weak point of the 6l80e is the
lock up clutch in the torque converter. when it goes it circulated crap all thru the trans
ruining the trans. Maybe this is what is going on, but it's prob too late if that's the case.

Personally, I'd drop the pan again and post up some pics of whats in the pan
and on the magnet.. If it looks better this time, replace the filter, new fluid and send it !

You may be experiencing a VVT issue or just good old maint/tlc stuff like
plugs, wires, filters, etc... Even poor quality gas.
I have done all the basic maintenance items you mentioned here within the last 20,000 miles. The VVT, can you elaborate on it a bit more. I personally hate the AFM setup, drives me nuts at surface street speeds, however that’s when it’s supposed to be efficient. I’ve been using Exxon/Mobil gas midgrade as it seems to work better for some reason with the AFM. It’s more than likely me but.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on why you even began with the thought of transmission failure? I don’t see how sluggish throttle response leads there.

It should be easy to discriminate between an engine vs a transmission issue by manipulating the throttle with the transmission in manual and staying in one gear.
So there are no codes popping up. I’ve been told if there is no codes then to assume all is good. I 1st thought it could throttle body or the accelerator. While at highway speeds it seems that I get a “dead zone” in the pedal. Throttle response at the onset of the pedal, 1/4-3/4 way down there is nothing, mash the pedal and it responds. This happens about 60% of the time. Other times it drives perfectly.

I knew that it was time to change out the trans fluid, last time I did it was about 25000 miles ago. When I dropped the pan and saw how dark the fluid was I started to think the reason for the sluggishness would be that the trans is slipping.

I will run it thru the gears manually and see what it does in the next day or so.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there are no codes popping up. I’ve been told if there is no codes then to assume all is good. I 1st thought it could throttle body or the accelerator. While at highway speeds it seems that I get a “dead zone” in the pedal. Throttle response at the onset of the pedal, 1/4-3/4 way down there is nothing, mash the pedal and it responds. This happens about 60% of the time. Other times it drives perfectly.

I knew that it was time to change out the trans fluid, last time I did it was about 25000 miles ago. When I dropped the pan and saw how dark the fluid was I started to think the reason for the sluggishness would be that the trans is slipping.

I will run it thru the gears manually and see what it does in the next day or so.
If you changed the transmission fluid 25K ago and this time you had black sludge in the pan, something isn't OK.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a time when the Tech 2 scanner would be a godsend. You could potentially look at the functioning of the accelerator pedal with it, I believe, but @swathdiver would know for sure. Without good data and insight into how your systems are operating, you're left with the parts cannon approach. And in this case, I would be suspecting the accelerator pedal assembly. Rock Auto has the OEM part for $75, which is cheap as far as cannonballs go.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an updated accelerator pedal assembly avail from GM...
Your Throttle Body could be gummed up...
If you drive it manual LOW and put it in "4" , Im told that the AFM will not kick on.

As far as the VVT, it runs off oil pressure and gives the camshaft advance/retard
You should be able to see if its being commanded with a good scan tool.
And you can compare your TPS values to Peal Position values to see if that's off too

McLeod Crouch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had something similar but my throttle body was pretty dirty. When you clean it just be careful of moving the butterfly flap back and forth, and you will have to plug a scanner in it to relearn the throttle body or it will just idle high. I have seen some people start it let it idle for some time and then turn it off, repeat until normal, or unplugging and plugging it back in.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't go farther than tow truck range! Now it is a matter of when not if.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebull12