2015 LTZ..Sluggish" acceleration while in V4 mode to V8- Now my Trans is slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlwarren08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bear with me as this may get Lengthy.

A few weeks back I started to notice that while driving 35-45mph, I press my accelerator my 2015 LTZ would feel "sluggish" to speed up, it reminds me of a manual car that is cruising in a 6th gear at a very low RPM/mph and it will kinda of "shudder" until it gets the RPMs up for that gear (if that makes sense). I assumed that this is just because it is in V-4 mode (DoD/AFM) and I had not reached the "criteria" to disable DoD and get it back into V8 mode. So after weeks of dealing with it, I finally got to looking at HP tuners and changed it to try and prevent it from happening at 35-45 (this is not a speed based feature, its RPM, MAP, oil Temp, ERT and a bunch of random stuff that really isn't activated based on speed.) So with that the only change I was able to make that I would be aware of is the TPS %. I lowered this valve to disable V-4 much sooner. For a while I felt that this had solved my issue. I would be cruising and press the pedal and not even 1/2second and the sluggishness (shutter sound) would be gone were as previously I could ease in to it, hold it and it would stay in V4 and shudder until it switched to V8. So all was good until about 3 days ago it started the "sluggishness/shuddering" again. Today while driving to the In-laws I get to a stop light and slowing down it gets a pretty bad shudder, jerking the Tahoe. Well that's weird keep driving on, we have about 1hr and a half left. I notice the RPM oscillating pretty drastic 250-500RPM while cruising at 65-80mph, but we make it. When we leave we get about 45 minutes away, and we're hitting V4 a lot because its a lot of down hill cruising and I notice the "sluggishness" is back and way worse. I scroll to the Trans temp, 212* no biggy inter webs say up to 225* is "ok". We get to the rice fields (flat AF roads) I slow down and the temp drops. I go to speed back up and my RPMs go up but I'm not moving and it starts whining temps go back up we maxed at 219* and once w/cruise control set we hit a hill and the RPMs shot up to 6K.....

SO if you're still with me, Have any of you noticed your vehicle being "sluggish"/shuddering on the transition from V4 to V8 mode, or do y'all think it was my transmission having issues from the very beginning?? I bought the vehicle in Dec '17 NEVER noticed the "sluggish"/shudder transition until about 3 months ago!!

We're at 107K miles, no modifications, has trans fluid, I have unfortunately not changed the fluid.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly does not sound normal. From your description it may indicate a torque converter problem, or also a deeper issue with low transmission pressures, maybe a failing pump? Sounds like a trip to the transmission doctor is in order before it completely fails. Good luck!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bear with me as this may get Lengthy.

A few weeks back I started to notice that while driving 35-45mph, I press my accelerator my 2015 LTZ would feel "sluggish" to speed up, it reminds me of a manual car that is cruising in a 6th gear at a very low RPM/mph and it will kinda of "shudder" until it gets the RPMs up for that gear (if that makes sense). I assumed that this is just because it is in V-4 mode (DoD/AFM) and I had not reached the "criteria" to disable DoD and get it back into V8 mode. So after weeks of dealing with it, I finally got to looking at HP tuners and changed it to try and prevent it from happening at 35-45 (this is not a speed based feature, its RPM, MAP, oil Temp, ERT and a bunch of random stuff that really isn't activated based on speed.) So with that the only change I was able to make that I would be aware of is the TPS %. I lowered this valve to disable V-4 much sooner. For a while I felt that this had solved my issue. I would be cruising and press the pedal and not even 1/2second and the sluggishness (shutter sound) would be gone were as previously I could ease in to it, hold it and it would stay in V4 and shudder until it switched to V8. So all was good until about 3 days ago it started the "sluggishness/shuddering" again. Today while driving to the In-laws I get to a stop light and slowing down it gets a pretty bad shudder, jerking the Tahoe. Well that's weird keep driving on, we have about 1hr and a half left. I notice the RPM oscillating pretty drastic 250-500RPM while cruising at 65-80mph, but we make it. When we leave we get about 45 minutes away, and we're hitting V4 a lot because its a lot of down hill cruising and I notice the "sluggishness" is back and way worse. I scroll to the Trans temp, 212* no biggy inter webs say up to 225* is "ok". We get to the rice fields (flat AF roads) I slow down and the temp drops. I go to speed back up and my RPMs go up but I'm not moving and it starts whining temps go back up we maxed at 219* and once w/cruise control set we hit a hill and the RPMs shot up to 6K.....

SO if you're still with me, Have any of you noticed your vehicle being "sluggish"/shuddering on the transition from V4 to V8 mode, or do y'all think it was my transmission having issues from the very beginning?? I bought the vehicle in Dec '17 NEVER noticed the "sluggish"/shudder transition until about 3 months ago!!

We're at 107K miles, no modifications, has trans fluid, I have unfortunately not changed the fluid.

@Dwayne Chatman

OP
OP
T

Tlwarren08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about do the forbidden...I'm going to follow up w/my Post, one thing that bothers me mos about forums people don't follow up w/the results!! Just heard back from the Dealership, turns out the trans is shot and will be needing a new one, once I get the truck I'm gonna be putting the stock file back in it to see if i have the same issues as before w/the DoD!

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for following up. Seems to be a common issue...although 107,000 miles with no fluid changes you're kind of on borrowed time anyway.

ScubaSteve007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about do the forbidden...I'm going to follow up w/my Post, one thing that bothers me mos about forums people don't follow up w/the results!! Just heard back from the Dealership, turns out the trans is shot and will be needing a new one, once I get the truck I'm gonna be putting the stock file back in it to see if i have the same issues as before w/the DoD!
Hearing back from the dealership might not be the best follow up.
Did replacing the transmission fix your sluggishness?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing back from the dealership might not be the best follow up.
Did replacing the transmission fix your sluggishness?
Unfortunately the OP has not been here since Nov 2018.