Normal oil pressure or am I just over reacting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a tell tail sign of a weak oil pressure relief valve spring (not the one in the pump - it is the one in the pan). It is THEE most missed and overlooked problem when it comes to oil pressure issues on these engines. In time your pressure may go down to zero or close to it and the low oil pressure alarm will ding. When/if that happens - it won't be the end of the world, because it is kind of a false reading. A weak pressure relief valve simply will dump more oil into the pan and it won't reach the sensor. You must drop the pan when changing this - so it is prudent to change the pick up tube o-ring while you are at it..
It is #455. Part #12594579.. OR you can simply install a plug and never have to worry about oil pressure again. My Tahoe did all of the above - and I changed everything (pump, pressure sensor and filter screen, pickup tube o-ring) before I studied the oil system and discovered the relief valve in the pan...

1658301.png
Are these in the non DOD/AFM vehicles? I have read about them.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pans/ls-oil-pan-pressure-relief-valve-plug-kit-p-902.html

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a tell tail sign of a weak oil pressure relief valve spring (not the one in the pump - it is the one in the pan). It is THEE most missed and overlooked problem when it comes to oil pressure issues on these engines. In time your pressure may go down to zero or close to it and the low oil pressure alarm will ding. When/if that happens - it won't be the end of the world, because it is kind of a false reading. A weak pressure relief valve simply will dump more oil into the pan and it won't reach the sensor. You must drop the pan when changing this - so it is prudent to change the pick up tube o-ring while you are at it..
It is #455. Part #12594579.. OR you can simply install a plug and never have to worry about oil pressure again. My Tahoe did all of the above - and I changed everything (pump, pressure sensor and filter screen, pickup tube o-ring) before I studied the oil system and discovered the relief valve in the pan...

1658301.png

I plugged mine with (appropriately enough) an oil plug. Used aluminum crush washer and red Loctite:

IMG_0991.JPG

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for bringing this thread up from the dead, but I finally got around to working on my Yukon and here is the update. So I changed the oil and filter today, and wuala, the oil pressure is a super healthy almost 60 psi at cold start idle and running at 40psi at hot idle like it should. I used a wix filter this time and I ran max life per usual. Well I am wonder if something clogged the filter or I just got a crappy bad ecore filter from the factory. Anyways, I will be using wix for now on. I also rotated my tires and found I have a bad tie rod and the sway bars end link bushings are shot.