Motor Oil Brand vs Consumption?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After switching brands of synthetic motor oil a couple changes ago I am noticing higher consumption. I'd think it was a coincidence but it happened on both of our cars. The Tahoe never seems to use a noticeable amount between 5000-6000 intervals but needed about 3/4 quart this time around. The other vehicle seemed to double from 1/2 quart to a full quart in a 6000 mile interval. There are no leaks on either.
Besides changing the brand, I gave "high mileage" version a try and that's when it was noticed. No change in oil weight.

Anyone else experience that?

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, with regular Mobil One compared with ACDelco. The Mobil oil has lower viscosity numbers and my 3 motors don't like it.

My recent experience wasn't Mobil 1.
It was the "P" brand. Marketing implied a cleaner oil due to what it is made from. Seemed a good idea.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I looked up AC Delco oil at WallyWorld and I can't afford it; over $30 a quart!

My recent experience wasn't Mobil 1.
It was the "P" brand. Marketing implied a cleaner oil due to what it is made from. Seemed a good idea.
If you find your local ACDelco dealer they may give you a good price on it. I've been buying it from Rock Auto for a few years now, last was $8.15 per quart delivered. Then when I thought my order was lost, I bought a couple cases from Summit Racing for $8.99 a quart delivered.

Plan B in case ACDelco got too hard to get or expensive was Shell Rotella Gas Truck but that appears to be gone now. So next down the list on viscosity was Quaker State. We're going to try it out on the next oil change and see if the motor rattles on start up like M1 used to do.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find your local ACDelco dealer they may give you a good price on it. I've been buying it from Rock Auto for a few years now, last was $8.15 per quart delivered. Then when I thought my order was lost, I bought a couple cases from Summit Racing for $8.99 a quart delivered.

Plan B in case ACDelco got too hard to get or expensive was Shell Rotella Gas Truck but that appears to be gone now. So next down the list on viscosity was Quaker State. We're going to try it out on the next oil change and see if the motor rattles on start up like M1 used to
Thanks for the input.
I've generally used the full synthetic versions from Mobil, Castrol, Penzoil and Valvoline that all hover just under $30 for 5 qt jug.
The Delco and Shell appear to be significantly higher.
What impresses you about them?

Last edited:
Reaction score

Plan B in case ACDelco got too hard to get or expensive was Shell Rotella Gas Truck but that appears to be gone now. So next down the list on viscosity was Quaker State. We're going to try it out on the next oil change and see if the motor rattles on start up like M1 used to do.
Do you happen to know where Kirkland (Costco brand) is at on that list? My last oil change was done with that. It was like $38 for two 5qt jugs

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know where Kirkland (Costco brand) is at on that list? My last oil change was done with that. It was like $38 for two 5qt jugs
1681056948924.png1681056992483.png

The above was taken from: https://pqia.org/kirkland-signature-full-synthetic-sae-5w-30-motor-oil/

I know the numbers don't seem far off and I am far from a trained expert but my motor does not rattle like it used to with the ACDelco oil versus the plain Mobil One. We were going to try Quaker State next. Too bad Shell discontinued Gas Truck.

More importantly, how does your engine perform on it Tom? Oil consumption and cold start noise?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I have to wonder how much of that is being lost through the crankcase vent.

If you have a catch can, you have a method to recover and measure it. :patriot:

When I get the jeep 100% I'm planning to dig into my tahoe once more, different lifters going in, and I have a corvette/camaro style pcv for the gen 4.
It replaces the valley cover between the cylinder heads.

I think most of the oil in my PCV comes from the lifters bleeding way too much oil due to my double pac springs in the AFR heads that I'm running in my 6.0.

I'm also running 15w40 oil right now to minimize the valvetrain noise and to keep the shit lifters I have pumped up. :chair:

I'm surprised that I'm still getting anything in the pcv, it reduced, but it's still there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.
I've generally used the full synthetic versions from Mobil, Castrol, Penzoil and Valvoline that all hover just under $30 for 5 qt jug.
The Delco and Shell appear to be significantly higher.
What impresses you about them?
The 5.3 was consuming a little oil and the motor rattles on start up each morning. So I started recording and comparing the specs of the different oil out there when I came across ACDelco's oil, didn't even know they offered oil! Numbers looked good so I tried it. No more rattle on cold starts and oil consumption dropped off to nothing as long as my wife wasn't driving it! I learned that if you regularly spin the motor past 3500 rpms or so she will consume oil and that's how my wife drives. I rarely spin the motor up that high unless we're at the drag strip or on ramp.

Reaction score
View attachment 396414View attachment 396415

The above was taken from: https://pqia.org/kirkland-signature-full-synthetic-sae-5w-30-motor-oil/

I know the numbers don't seem far off and I am far from a trained expert but my motor does not rattle like it used to with the ACDelco oil versus the plain Mobil One. We were going to try Quaker State next. Too bad Shell discontinued Gas Truck.

More importantly, how does your engine perform on it Tom? Oil consumption and cold start noise?
Hard to tell recently. Cold start noise is a bit louder due to the broken exhaust manifold bolt on the rear drivers side. I have new ARP bolts to install, but need to get new gasket before taking the manifold off to remove the broken bolt. Probably won't get around to it until after school/work gets out at the end of May.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos