Greetings and another oil leak post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hate to have my introduction be another boring post about a rear engine oil leak, but I'm about at my wits end trying to figure this one out and was hoping someone might have a last ditch piece of advice to save my driveway from getting soaked in oil.

I have probably read every single thread on here that I could find about oil leaks on this generation of engine. From what I read and learned, I have replaced the valve cover gaskets, oil valley pan gasket, oil pressure sensor and yesterday finally did the oil pan gasket. Took it for a drive around the block at 2 am when I was finally finished putting the truck back together after the oil pan gasket replacement anddddd it was still dripping a drop every few minutes from the rear of the oil pan after I parked it. At this point I don't know what to do next. I have looked at the rear main seal several times and it always seems to be dry in that area. What does that leave, just the rear block cover gasket that could be leaking (related to the porosity TSB perhaps)? I'm not a mechanic by any means so I am not sure replacing that is something that I can do in my driveway with the truck up on jack stands. At this point, I'm pretty going to be stuck taking this to a shop to get fixed I'm thinking.

Truck is a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL with 225k miles that was only $5,900 (great deal in my area).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I paid $8k for our 07 Denali 4 yrs ago w/130k.
Changed the rear main seal on mine almost 4 yrs ago right after I bought it. Believe you me I didn't want to do this BIG TO ME job, but I did. 179k now and still dry as a bone.
Here's the thread: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/rear-main-seal-job-pan-etc-07-yukon-denali-6-2.108334/
and more pics: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/media/albums/rear-main-seal-oil-pan-etc-day-1.3740/
The other thing that comes to mind is the porous aluminum block TSB. That wouldn't be good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

diesel_dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't blame you if you don't want to read this massive wall of text so here is the short version: Crank and knock sensors are not leaking at all. Oil cooler blockoff cover is not leaking. Like 99% sure now that it is a leaking rear cover/rear main seal. Several local quotes to replace the rear cover were all around $1,000 so I am going to drive it a bit to get a better idea of the oil consumption and go from there.

---------------------------

So I was finally able to pull myself together after the immense disappointment that it was still leaking after I replaced the oil pan gasket and get back under there to do some more maintenance and try to see if I could see anything new related to the oil leak.

As you guys suggested, I did take a closer look at both the knock sensor and crank position sensors behind the starter but both of those are unfortunately dry. I am still confident the oil cooler block off cover seal isn't leaking because its dry. I took the dust cover and transmission inspection covers off and stuck a borescope in the bellhousing and now I'm leaning much more towards this being a leaking rear cover seal/rear main seal. The flexplate itself appears dry, but everything else in there is pretty moist with grimy oily junk. I can just barely see the top of the rear cover through the holes in the flexplate and it does look wet way up in there. I called a few local auto and transmissions shops and the prices for a full rear cover replacement were $1,000 (local shop), $1,300 (local shop), $1,400 (AAMCO), and finally the hilariously high priced $2,000 local shop quote. Still waiting for one place to call back tomorrow, but I expect it to be in line with the others. I'm beginning to wonder why I spent all that money on engineering school when I could have been charging people $200/hour to work on their cars. Sheesh!

So at this point I think what I am going to do is take the camper out this weekend on a few hundred mile trip and get a better idea how much oil consumption there is going on. If it is less than about a quart per gas station stop, I guess I can deal with that due to the simple fact that it would take ~75k miles worth of driving to break even with buying oil versus having the rear main replaced. Kind of a gamble because if this engine and transmission somehow lasts longer than 300k miles (basically impossible that will be the case), then it would have been cheaper to just have the seal fixed versus topping up the oil every few hundred miles. But, if the engine or transmission gives up the ghost after a few trips pulling my heavy toy hauler, then I'm out ahead because I won't have spent $1,000 only to have to pull the transmission out a few thousand miles later anyways.

If it is taking closer to two or more quarts per gas station stop, then I'll have to get it fixed because that just won't be sustainable long-term.

I ordered a large metal drip tray from Amazon to help save my driveway in the meantime.

Serviced the front and rear differentials this morning. Whoever installed the front differential fill plug must have used red Loctite and a 10 foot breaker bar to tighten that dang thing. By the time I got it out, I had a mountain of various tools accumulated with the secret combo being a heat gun and a huge breaker bar. Torque value is only like 24 ft-lbs on the poor thing! I put a dab of anti-seize on the treads and bead of silicone o-ring lubricant on the seal so I won't have to deal with that in the future. That being said, I noticed that the driver's side CV flange has about 1/8" of wobble in it if you pry on it so I'm guessing I'll be needing a new front differential at some point. I have no idea how it isn't howling or leaking any oil from that seal, but I guess I'll just drive it till it blows.

Attachments

• 20220809_100755.jpg
    20220809_100755.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220809_101007.jpg
    20220809_101007.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220809_101814.jpg
    20220809_101814.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 16

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you if you don't want to read this massive wall of text so here is the short version: Crank and knock sensors are not leaking at all. Oil cooler blockoff cover is not leaking. Like 99% sure now that it is a leaking rear cover/rear main seal. Several local quotes to replace the rear cover were all around $1,000 so I am going to drive it a bit to get a better idea of the oil consumption and go from there.

So I was finally able to pull myself together after the immense disappointment that it was still leaking after I replaced the oil pan gasket and get back under there to do some more maintenance and try to see if I could see anything new related to the oil leak.

As you guys suggested, I did take a closer look at both the knock sensor and crank position sensors behind the starter but both of those are unfortunately dry. I am still confident the oil cooler block off cover seal isn't leaking because its dry. I took the dust cover and transmission inspection covers off and stuck a borescope in the bellhousing and now I'm leaning much more towards this being a leaking rear cover seal/rear main seal. The flexplate itself appears dry, but everything else in there is pretty moist with grimy oily junk. I can just barely see the top of the rear cover through the holes in the flexplate and it does look wet way up in there. I called a few local auto and transmissions shops and the prices for a full rear cover replacement were $1,000 (local shop), $1,300 (local shop), $1,400 (AAMCO), and finally the hilariously high priced $2,000 local shop quote. Still waiting for one place to call back tomorrow, but I expect it to be in line with the others. I'm beginning to wonder why I spent all that money on engineering school when I could have been charging people $200/hour to work on their cars. Sheesh!

So at this point I think what I am going to do is take the camper out this weekend on a few hundred mile trip and get a better idea how much oil consumption there is going on. If it is less than about a quart per gas station stop, I guess I can deal with that due to the simple fact that it would take ~75k miles worth of driving to break even with buying oil versus having the rear main replaced. Kind of a gamble because if this engine and transmission somehow lasts longer than 300k miles (basically impossible that will be the case), then it would have been cheaper to just have the seal fixed versus topping up the oil every few hundred miles. But, if the engine or transmission gives up the ghost after a few trips pulling my heavy toy hauler, then I'm out ahead because I won't have spent $1,000 only to have to pull the transmission out a few thousand miles later anyways.

If it is taking closer to two or more quarts per gas station stop, then I'll have to get it fixed because that just won't be sustainable long-term.

I ordered a large metal drip tray from Amazon to help save my driveway in the meantime.

Serviced the front and rear differentials this morning. Whoever installed the front differential fill plug must have used red Loctite and a 10 foot breaker bar to tighten that dang thing. By the time I got it out, I had a mountain of various tools accumulated with the secret combo being a heat gun and a huge breaker bar. Torque value is only like 24 ft-lbs on the poor thing! I put a dab of anti-seize on the treads and bead of silicone o-ring lubricant on the seal so I won't have to deal with that in the future. That being said, I noticed that the driver's side CV flange has about 1/8" of wobble in it if you pry on it so I'm guessing I'll be needing a new front differential at some point. I have no idea how it isn't howling or leaking any oil from that seal, but I guess I'll just drive it till it blows.
here's another thread I did you may be interested in reading: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/engine-oil-pan-gasket-change-6-2-yukon-l92.108487/
and a TSB about oil consumption because of stuck rings and poor valve cover pcv design: https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And here's what my spark plugs looked like: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/sparkies-no-beno.108579/

AngryFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it looks like the rear main leaking, but the rear main is good, then it's probably the cover gasket. The rear main seals to the rear cover, and the rear cover has a gasket to the block. There are two oil galleries at the top that are connected and sealed by this gasket, and the rear cover acts as part of the channel.

I had a really bad leak that was coming from the back, but above the oil pan and not the rear main. L59 engine. They replaced the rear main while they were there, but the cover gasket had cooked by the heat and failed at approximately 287,000 and 8500 engine hours.

Not sure that this is the right part for your engine, but check P/N 1263 9250

OP
OP
D

diesel_dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it looks like the rear main leaking, but the rear main is good, then it's probably the cover gasket. The rear main seals to the rear cover, and the rear cover has a gasket to the block. There are two oil galleries at the top that are connected and sealed by this gasket, and the rear cover acts as part of the channel.

I had a really bad leak that was coming from the back, but above the oil pan and not the rear main. L59 engine. They replaced the rear main while they were there, but the cover gasket had cooked by the heat and failed at approximately 287,000 and 8500 engine hours.

Not sure that this is the right part for your engine, but check P/N 1263 9250
I think we are both on the exact same page because I don't really see oil wetting around the rear main seal itself. Just general oiliness around the periphery of the rear cover but its pretty hard to see through the transmission inspection hole. All of the shops I called said they replace the rear cover when they do a rear main seal because they get it all as a kit like that so, if I decide to move ahead with the $1k repair on a truck that only cost me $6k, that should fix the leak. I took my camper on a 100 mile drive up in the mountains today and the truck did so much better than I was expecting that I am a little more inclined to get it fixed whereas before, I wasn't sure the truck was up to the task of pulling my relatively heavy toy hauler.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The very first thing I tried was fluorescent dye in the oil. Let it run a few minutes while I watched with a UV light anddd nothing. Check it again the next morning and the entire rear of the engine was glowing like a rave club. So, that was less helpful than desired.

I think you have a good point about the rear main though. There is a lot of air movement and centripetal force in there to fling oil away from the center that could be making it appear dry. I think a rear main and maybe the new part number rear block cover might be the next move. I still need to see if it's possible to do this at home but just from looking under the truck, that seems like a pretty big task to do in the driveway so I'll be calling some local shops for quotes.

Anyone know what a "fair" price range would be for a rear main replacement on one of these? I'm thinking ~$1k which really sucks.
If you’re gonna do a rear main seal I’d get the transmission upgrades done so it’ll never quit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9