Motor Oil Brand vs Consumption?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also trying the Kirkland oil after the Project Farm report. At ~180,000 miles I use about 1 quart for every 5k miles. So I usually don't add any oil, I sample it and then change the oil and filter.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, so AcDelco is not a manufacturer. for example, in Acdelco cans there was Belgian Wolf oil, which is cheaper, has a Dexos approval, In USA it Exxon Mobil.
5W30 ACDelco oil is made for them, to their specifications, by Phillips 66.
My 2021 used regular oil for the first 36,000 miles and I changed it every 5k.

Never used a drop.

Once my warranty ended I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic. 5k later my oil was barely on the dipstick.

Took the vehicle to GMC dealer concerned about oil consumption.

They drained the oil and put in a Delco Blend and started my 1,000 mile consumption test.

Now a 1,000 miles later my dipstick still is full.

I will note that it appeared overfilled when I started the test and I’ve had stupid back and forth with the SA about how to “properly check the oil, cause you can’t just check it bone cold in the morning. You gotta run it for 2-3 minutes, then let it sit for a minute”.

I’m calling BS on how to check the oil & will dig deeper with the SA about that cause it makes no sense.

If the oil is overfilled then the only way they can measure consumption is by draining and weighing the oil and my SA won’t confirm how the actually measure (via dipstick or by drained weight).
This was my experience with regular 5W30 Mobil One oil for years. Quit using it in 2018 and barely any oil consumption, can't remember the last time I had to add oil between changes.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Pennzoil Platinum Euro L Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil for LS engines?
It appears to meet Dexos 2 requirements.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the 6.2 Sierras on Quaker State full synthetic. After the 3rd oil change a sample will be sent to Blackstone for analysis. So far the oil has been great, no consumption between changes, motor does not rattle on start up.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the 6.2 Sierras on Quaker State full synthetic. After the 3rd oil change a sample will be sent to Blackstone for analysis. So far the oil has been great, no consumption between changes, motor does not rattle on start up.

I recently tried one change using Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w30. I used about a quart in 4000 miles. A good point is that the oil on the dipstick looks like new. I have enough of the oil to give it another change but haven't ruled out trying another oil looking forward because finding the Gas Truck is harder than the last time, not to mention that it appears to have been hoarded after the closeout so the current price is out of line with most other choices.

In another thread there are recommendations to get the updated driver side valve cover and other potential measures.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently tried one change using Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w30. I used about a quart in 4000 miles. A good point is that the oil on the dipstick looks like new. I have enough of the oil to give it another change but haven't ruled out trying another oil looking forward because finding the Gas Truck is harder than the last time, not to mention that it appears to have been hoarded after the closeout so the current price is out of line with most other choices.

In another thread there are recommendations to get the updated driver side valve cover and other potential measures.
That Shell oil was next on my list until they discontinued it. Next on the list was the Quaker State and so far so good.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Shell oil was next on my list until they discontinued it. Next on the list was the Quaker State and so far so good.
I only find the Shell at NAPA now and they have to search the area and ship a bottle from here and another from there and so on. I presume the the end is coming.

Another alternative that popped up recently is Phillips 66 Shield Valor. I wonder if that is related to AC Delco Dexos oil as I read that Phillips might make it.

Is the QS that you use their standard synthetic or "Ultimate Durability" variant?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon