Newbie with a question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
Well I'm the proud new owner of a new to me 07 LTZ. So far I couldn't be happier. I have ran across 1 issue I was looking for a solution to. On the steering wheel spokes there seems to be some kind of matte type finish coming off and underneath is shiny black. Anyone know a remedy for this or someone that makes a cover to go over this?

Thanks

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing but not a huge problem yet. At this point I'm not sure of a "fix" to this issue other than a new wheel or having the existing one refinished.

OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
Mine's not real bad yet either. Just kinda bothers me and I can only expect it will get worse.

photoryan

Reaction score
I'm in the exact situation. It's not bad enough to justify paying the $80 or whatever for new black or brushed silver ones, and just bad enough to bug me almost every time I get in. I started just scraping the "texture paint" off with my fingernail. I was starting to use a razor blade, but that could scratch the shiny black underneath.

There are multiple threads on here on how to replace the pieces if you decide to get a new set.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in short you have to take the entire center part of the wheel off in order to swap out the new pieces which is why I have not bothered with it yet. When/If I do I will be putting in the brushed silver pieces found on the LTZ's, though.

OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
Can you guys point me to these threads on how to replace them and possibly where to buy the replacement one's at? The brushed one's sound like the way to go. Mine is an LTZ but they are black.

Thanks

photoryan

Reaction score
Do a search for "steering wheel" and there are a few posts of suggestions of where to get them. I know I saw an article on how to pull it off without jacking up the airbag, but I couldn't find it in the 30 seconds I spent searching. Try some different variables in the search function and I'm sure you'll find it.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm the proud new owner of a new to me 07 LTZ. So far I couldn't be happier. I have ran across 1 issue I was looking for a solution to. On the steering wheel spokes there seems to be some kind of matte type finish coming off and underneath is shiny black. Anyone know a remedy for this or someone that makes a cover to go over this?

Thanks

I bought the matching brushed aluminum steering wheel covers that match the interior trim pieces by the A/C vents. This comes stock on 09+ LTZ's and looks good. Cost 80-90 shipped from gmpartsdirect.com

WELL worth the money and changes the look of the steering wheel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
I bought the matching brushed aluminum steering wheel covers that match the interior trim pieces by the A/C vents. This comes stock on 09+ LTZ's and looks good. Cost 80-90 shipped from gmpartsdirect.com

Do you remember the part # and was it hard to install? I saw a Youtube video on removing the airbag and steering wheel.

Thanks

photoryan

Reaction score

I was just looking on there, and I see them for $68 (l) and $70 (r) each. Was your price reference for both or each?
I'm not sure I can convince my wife to let me spend $140 + shipping for those pieces, especially when the black ones are $20 and $21 each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk