New wheels, lug nuts won't stay tight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked the manufactures web site and I can't find if it says they are hub centric or not. Not sure if it makes a difference but they are factory replica wheels.

I don't actually have the factory lug nuts because when we purchased the car it already had aftermarket wheels.

I'm wondering if I didn't have them torqued enough, I say that because after thinking about it I had to use every once of force I had to get them loose. And I broke a socket adapter clean off my impact driver while trying to loosen them on the first one.

Overtorquing the lug nuts is not a good idea either.

Tighten them to factory specs, if they won't hold try a set of oem or gorilla lug nuts.

It's worrisome that they were that tight when you took them off ... I hope the previous owner didn't damage the bolts by overtorquing them which has led to the current issue.

akbrener

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe a pic of the wheels? if it has a center cap, a pic without the center cap on would help us see whats going on. definitely go off the GMC torque specs.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At this point you also need to make sure the wheels are not damaged where the lug nuts seat. The shape could now be damaged and the hole hogged out some.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At this point you also need to make sure the wheels are not damaged where the lug nuts seat. The shape could now be damaged and the hole hogged out some.

^^^ This. And/or the stud threads damaged.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
^^^ This. And/or the stud threads damaged.

See what happens when you get old. I was also going to mention the possible stud/thread damage to look for and half way thru my post I must have forgot. Thanks for covering me.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See what happens when you get old. I was also going to mention the possible stud/thread damage to look for and half way thru my post I must have forgot. Thanks for covering me.

Funny you should mention that. I didn't even THINK about the holes in the wheels! Guess this is a community effort, as well it should be. LOL