New wheels, lug nuts won't stay tight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I just put on some new rims and tires. Took a drive about 18 miles round trip and had to stop 5 times to tighten the lug nuts. They were getting to the point i could take them off by hang. I'm just glad I was near an Auto Zone to buy a lug wrench or I would have had serious issues. He suggested to put some blue lock tight on. I've never had this issue before, but I've also never had aftermarket rims, with the exception of the ones that came on the car when we bought it. I'm also currently using aftermarket lug nuts that were recommended with the purchase of rims.

Any suggestions, should I go with the blue lock tight ?

Also any one know how long it will take for the new TPMS to be recognized ? Or is there a special sequence of events I need to preform?

Thanks in advance.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just put on some new rims and tires. Took a drive about 18 miles round trip and had to stop 5 times to tighten the lug nuts. They were getting to the point i could take them off by hang. I'm just glad I was near an Auto Zone to buy a lug wrench or I would have had serious issues. He suggested to put some blue lock tight on. I've never had this issue before, but I've also never had aftermarket rims, with the exception of the ones that came on the car when we bought it. I'm also currently using aftermarket lug nuts that were recommended with the purchase of rims.

Any suggestions, should I go with the blue lock tight ?

Also any one know how long it will take for the new TPMS to be recognized ? Or is there a special sequence of events I need to preform?

Thanks in advance.

Silly question but you are torquing the lug nuts to the proper torque correct? Usually in the neighborhood of 140lb-ft.

Maybe take some brake cleaner and clean the threads incase there is any grease on the studs.

Should not need any thread locker to keep them tight.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No thread locker. Torque to proper spec. If you have one of the old lug nuts compare the taper at the bottom of that to the taper on the new lug nuts. Should be the same. The TPMS is something I am not familiar with, don't have it on my rig but someone here will know. I think you have to reprogram with a Tech 2 maybe? The tire shop should have reset for you, if they had that capability.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting threadlocker on loose lug nuts is like gluing your nose shut when it bleeds ... as in you're addressing the wrong end of the issue.

If you were on a racetrack or off roading loosening lug nuts are pretty common, but there's no reason whatsoever that lug nuts should be loosening under normal driving conditions, especially after such short distances.

Are you feeling any vibrations from unbalanced wheels as you're driving?

If not find out what the torque specs for the lug nuts is on your vehicle and use a torque wrench to make sure you are within specs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something isn't right here, first question is why and how did you determine the lug nuts were coming loose, did the wheels start wobble or something? if so then the lug nuts are not the correct size/thread at all, this should never happen.

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use thread lock on your wheels... you need to check the seat on the rims and the lug nuts to make sure they are correct for each other...

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing ... are the aftermarket wheels you got hub centric? If not it may be your issue and you might need rings.

Oh and try using your oem lug nuts to see if you have the same issue ... it might be as simple as the aftermarket lug nuts are not exactly the right size.

OP
OP
cntryislandboy
Reaction score
Thanks for he quick responses. I was kinda thinking the same things about the lock tight, i didn't really want to use it, I never have in the past. I'll stop at harbor freight tomorrow and pick up a torque wrench. I've typically just tighten the crap out of them, and check them with a torque wrench when I'm at a buddies that has one, well now I'll have my own.

The steering wheel did vibrate ranging from mild to holly crap. I thought it was a wheel unbalanced but once I got the holly crap phase I stopped and all the lugs were loose enough to take off by hang.

Concerning the torque specs. Is this based off of GMC or the aftermarket lug nuts? I'm thinking GMC but just thought to ask to make sure.

From what I can tell they should be set to 140, so I'll set the to that and then drive around some and see what happens.

OP
OP
cntryislandboy
Reaction score
One more thing ... are the aftermarket wheels you got hub centric? If not it may be your issue and you might need rings.

Oh and try using your oem lug nuts to see if you have the same issue ... it might be as simple as the aftermarket lug nuts are not exactly the right size.

I just checked the manufactures web site and I can't find if it says they are hub centric or not. Not sure if it makes a difference but they are factory replica wheels.

I don't actually have the factory lug nuts because when we purchased the car it already had aftermarket wheels.

I'm wondering if I didn't have them torqued enough, I say that because after thinking about it I had to use every once of force I had to get them loose. And I broke a socket adapter clean off my impact driver while trying to loosen them on the first one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they come loose again after proper torque I would swing by the nearest wheel shop and have them put a new set of correct lugs on shouldn't cost much at all