New to Me - 2016 Yukon Xl Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this 2016 Yukon XL Denali 4wd used with 60,000 miles (clean carfax, regular oil changes, local 1-owner, very clean) from a local dealer who got it in on a trade for a 2019 Navigator. I was happy with it until I started to notice two issues 1) Chevy shake (like driving over rumble strips) at varying speeds from 35 - 55 mph. I think this is it PIP5337E. 2) Very stiff suspension (rides like my 96 F 250 did). For a truck that stickered at $75k new, this is pretty frustrating.

Here's the steps I've compiled to fix the Chevy Shake. What have I missed or is anything out of order? Am I looking at big dollar signs here?
  1. Check tires, road force balance (tires are brand new)
  2. See if local GMC dealer can install software upgrade
  3. Flush the transmission, lines, cooler, replace filter
  4. Check drive shaft
  5. Check the torque converter
  6. Check front and rear ring and pinion gears
  7. Check tie rod ends (not just the boots, but where they are tightened against the knuckle and the inner rod)
Stiff suspension:
  1. Check Shock dampers
  2. Check MRC system

I've got the Black Bear Autocal, but I want to fix these issues first. Then I look forward to seeing how it feels in the snow and pulling the boat.

Pic attached of it sitting at the dealer before I bought it.

1jpg.jpg

Last edited:

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
Sucks that you're having those issues. The stiff ride may be due to it having 22s, and also just due to it being a heavy BOF vehicle. I used to have a NNBS 1500, and even on 18s, it rode rough - rougher than most half ton crew cab pickups I have ridden in. I attributed it to the slightly shorter wheelbase and higher weight of the SUV platform. I As for the shake, your list is good, but also take a look at the tie rod ends - not just the boots, but where they are tightened against the knuckle and the inner rod. I have actually seen a case where the nut holding the tie rod end to the knuckle somehow loosened a bit, allowing the stud to move within the knuckle a few mm. It was not loose enough to be noticeable when I just looked at it, but jiggling the end a little bit it was clear there was play.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G00se

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer I bought it from is going to do a free diagnostic. The local GMC dealer service manager said he had two trucks in the past week with the vibrating issue that was fixed by replacing the torque converter, $1500-$1800, and took a little while to get all the parts in.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing is first you bought your self a beautiful SUV. It look gorgous I’m a sucker for white and black .You gonna have issue with it but minor stuff the hard ride is the 22 wheel. They make you ride worst than ford 250. It bright side it weights down the vehicle to give it better handling so you don’t flip plus their heavy too more stable at higher speed. Second you won’t have any problem feeling your towing with the 6.2 engine . The engine said by a gm mechanic is great on towing. Just drive it on a trip to get the better feeling of it and bond to it. Sound weird I know but when I first got mine after a while a noticed few small issues I began to get upset at minor stuff. But a moderator here in the forum and others too told me take a trip with it . I did and we bonded felt how useful it was and comfortable 6 hours driving and full t adult and how safe it felt . All the small glitches I found just grew with me . There not a perfect SUV but they make up for it in the look and comfort. Enjoy ok

OP
OP
G00se

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey another SoCal member! Awesome! Welcome! Nice looking truck! Hopefully you get some resolution on the issues soon!

How does yours handle the snow?

First thing is first you bought your self a beautiful SUV. It look gorgous I’m a sucker for white and black .You gonna have issue with it but minor stuff the hard ride is the 22 wheel. They make you ride worst than ford 250. It bright side it weights down the vehicle to give it better handling so you don’t flip plus their heavy too more stable at higher speed. Second you won’t have any problem feeling your towing with the 6.2 engine . The engine said by a gm mechanic is great on towing. Just drive it on a trip to get the better feeling of it and bond to it. Sound weird I know but when I first got mine after a while a noticed few small issues I began to get upset at minor stuff. But a moderator here in the forum and others too told me take a trip with it . I did and we bonded felt how useful it was and comfortable 6 hours driving and full t adult and how safe it felt . All the small glitches I found just grew with me . There not a perfect SUV but they make up for it in the look and comfort. Enjoy ok

Thanks, took awhile to find Summit White and Black with all the options I wanted.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does yours handle the snow?

Thanks, took awhile to find Summit White and Black with all the options I wanted.
Well I have a 2006 with AWD. Mines not a new model like yours with 4WD. Haha. With that being said, my truck handles in the snow fantastic! It’s pretty much a tank! I’ve had it three winters, the second of which we had quite a bit of snow. And I haven’t met a situation in snow yet that has gotten my Denali stuck. It’s very capable in the snow!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are current gen Denalis offered with 4WD? I thought all Denalis were either AWD or RWD.
The 2002-2006 generation Denali was only offered in AWD. The 2007-2014 Denali package was offered in RWD and AWD versions. The current 2015 and up models have a selectable transfer case with 2WD, auto4, 4HI, and 4LO. That was a new option for the current generation when it was introduced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts