New Tires - who's running 44psi ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My door stickers say 30 PSI on my '07 and that makes my BFG AT's look like they are half flat. What is correct? If I go to the tire shop they refuse to put more than what the door says. I don't mind running that pressure just the tires look funny at that pressure and make a lot of scrubbing noise at that pressure during sharp turning like in a parking lot.

Hello, I’m running BFG AT’s M+S on my 2015 Suburban PPV and I had that scrubbing noise as well. It is the tires being oversized and rubbing on the fender liner when you kick your wheels over all the way. I went to my mechanic and he took a knife and just cut out the offending spot where it was rubbing. It is just a cardboard / finer like cover coming down from the fender. You could even do it yourself. As far as air pressure goes, mine is a heavy truck, so in order to keep my tires from looking like they are low on air, I have mine sitting all at 50 psi. My shops do it, no problem. If not, go to a gas station and add the air to whatever you want to have. They are YOUR tires. Btw....I have done this pressure with all of my trucks before and have NEVER had any issues or wear patterns at all. Good luck !!!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
factory 18" rims the tires are 3 years old in age 2018 it did this with the Brigestone tires 10-12 years old as well (the ones on it when i bought it)

it feels like i'm going over a bump that does not exist .. so the tire must be kinking

Well, where I live a four year old tire is old, regardless of mileage. The sun rots them out and they break belts internally. Bridgestones were known for this back when I sold tires 25 years ago.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got nitrogen put in ours at the last new tire mounting and they set them all at 35psi.
It's an extremely busy shop with an owner/racer that is very hands in watching the crew so I rely on his judgement.
It rides well and no cornering noise.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m running BFG AT’s M+S on my 2015 Suburban PPV and I had that scrubbing noise as well. It is the tires being oversized and rubbing on the fender liner when you kick your wheels over all the way. I went to my mechanic and he took a knife and just cut out the offending spot where it was rubbing. It is just a cardboard / finer like cover coming down from the fender. You could even do it yourself. As far as air pressure goes, mine is a heavy truck, so in order to keep my tires from looking like they are low on air, I have mine sitting all at 50 psi. My shops do it, no problem. If not, go to a gas station and add the air to whatever you want to have. They are YOUR tires. Btw....I have done this pressure with all of my trucks before and have NEVER had any issues or wear patterns at all. Good luck !!!

It doesn't matter what they look like and your truck isn't any heavier than anyone else's here. I won't waste time arguing with you but I'd bet money you'd get more mileage out of your tires and it would ride better running less pressure.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what they look like and your truck isn't any heavier than anyone else's here. I won't waste time arguing with you but I'd bet money you'd get more mileage out of your tires and it would ride better running less pressure.
the mileage out of them does not really matter as i don't buy new ones....

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have Mickey Thompson LT tires on my 'burb and run them at 40psi. The door sticker is for a P rated tire, not LT and when the LT's were run from the previous owner around 32 they were wearing the sides down more than the center and rode pretty bad. At 40 they are sitting perfect and ride greate.

rico387

Reaction score
New Nitto tires, and I'm in Florida, so they're the all season/rain tires, seem pretty good all around.

Does anyone go to the max 44psi pressure when running on new tires? Any reason not to, if I'm doing all city and highway driving?

Should I run 40psi just to be safe for heat expansion, etc?

Any and ALL replies appreciated, thanks!
I heard so many arguments that I called the Goodyear Tire Co. The max pressure printed on the tire is the max for mounting a tire. It is never to be exceeded when seating the bead. The operating pressure in the door jamb is what you go by. You can exceed that number by a few pounds when carrying a heavy load. Running a tire at max mounting psi, especially here in Florida, will greatly increase the risk of tread separation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442