New Tires - who's running 44psi ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My door stickers say 30 PSI on my '07 and that makes my BFG AT's look like they are half flat. What is correct? If I go to the tire shop they refuse to put more than what the door says. I don't mind running that pressure just the tires look funny at that pressure and make a lot of scrubbing noise at that pressure during sharp turning like in a parking lot.

That tire shop is run by fools then. Properly trained tire guys know that LT tires require more air than P-Metrics.

Stock size KO2s (All LTs really) on 17 inch wheels should be 42. This is minimum required to exceed rear axle capacity. At 50 psi, mine were hard to keep aired up and they slowly wore down in the center.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Nitto tires, and I'm in Florida, so they're the all season/rain tires, seem pretty good all around.

Does anyone go to the max 44psi pressure when running on new tires? Any reason not to, if I'm doing all city and highway driving?

Should I run 40psi just to be safe for heat expansion, etc?

Any and ALL replies appreciated, thanks!
I run mine at 50PSI The Pressure never changes

Since you're in florida i would do 38-40psi since it rains a lot
this seems to be the modern standard anyways

I do lower mine when it rains to 38 other wise it's at 50

The tire wear is even .. plus it does not matter my tires are used....

I prefer to use used tires this is more of an environmentally friendly option.... (i don't get used ones that have patches though..)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run mine at 50PSI The Pressure never changes

Since you're in florida i would do 38-40psi since it rains a lot
this seems to be the modern standard anyways

I do lower mine when it rains to 38 other wise it's at 50

The tire wear is even .. plus it does not matter my tires are used....

I prefer to use used tires this is more of an environmentally friendly option.... (i don't get used ones that have patches though..)

What kind of tires are you running Brent?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are P-Metrics, you don't NEED to run anywhere near that much pressure Brent. The only benefit I can figure on is if you are going for maximum fuel economy.
Yeah it rides the side walls when it's at 32psi this creates heat and would bring it to 36psi anyways and the tire kinks when making a u turn( you can feel it)

maximum fuel economy.... Yes plus nearly Zero air expansion from heat as it creates very little heat I can touch the tire after driving an hour and it's barely luke warm.. The dealer also deleted the TPMS light for free,(at lest i have not seen it come on at all since it went in for the recall last Thursday i drove more then 100 miles all ready.. ) but i still get the warning on the DIC.. normally it would come on(the TPMS light) after 50 miles of disconnection of the battery.. reset

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it rides the side walls when it's at 32psi this creates heat and would bring it to 36psi anyways and the tire kinks when making a u turn( you can feel it)

Brent, none of that is right or normal. Something is wrong. How old are those used tires? Are you still running factory wheels? Have you verified that whatever you are checking the air with is accurate?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brent, none of that is right or normal. Something is wrong. How old are those used tires? Are you still running factory wheels? Have you verified that whatever you are checking the air with is accurate?
factory 18" rims the tires are 3 years old in age 2018 it did this with the Brigestone tires 10-12 years old as well (the ones on it when i bought it)

it feels like i'm going over a bump that does not exist .. so the tire must be kinking

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
That max pressure is specifically what the tire can handle, not what the tire on a specific car should be run at.

I also run 33-35psi year round

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14