New Tires - who's running 44psi ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Nitto tires, and I'm in Florida, so they're the all season/rain tires, seem pretty good all around.

Does anyone go to the max 44psi pressure when running on new tires? Any reason not to, if I'm doing all city and highway driving?

Should I run 40psi just to be safe for heat expansion, etc?

Any and ALL replies appreciated, thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Nitto tires, and I'm in Florida, so they're the all season/rain tires, seem pretty good all around.

Does anyone go to the max 44psi pressure when running on new tires? Any reason not to, if I'm doing all city and highway driving?

Should I run 40psi just to be safe for heat expansion, etc?

Any and ALL replies appreciated, thanks!

Rick, the truck's ride will be poor and they will wear out in the center of the tread pretty quick. If they are the same size as stock and the same rating (P-Metric or LT), follow the door sticker or add 2-3 psi for a highway run. If they are of a larger size, run a little less air in them.

txchevy4ever

Reaction score
As others have said... don't run the max pressure unless you're fully loaded all the time...

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running the Nitto Ridge Grappler LT275/60r20 for about 45k miles now. Rotations done every 3-5k miles (did my best). Not sure which Nitto tire you purchased. These LTs are 16/32 tread depth spec'd new.

I live in ME (Maine) and have a lot of cold morning starts. My tires wake up around 35psi and will warm up to 38psi after about 5 mins or so. If they are all sitting at 39-40psi then the ride has been good on the gas and wears well. Solid traction and control there. Feels really nice on the highway at that range too. When it is REALLY cold in winter I've had them set at 36 to hopefully get up to a38 running temp.

Now, I've had very good tread wear and quite even across all tires until the last 3k miles now. Running on 4/32 tread and being a bit aggressive in the turns, outer edge has noticeably started to wear quicker.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rick, the truck's ride will be poor and they will wear out in the center of the tread pretty quick. If they are the same size as stock and the same rating (P-Metric or LT), follow the door sticker or add 2-3 psi for a highway run. If they are of a larger size, run a little less air in them.

My door stickers say 30 PSI on my '07 and that makes my BFG AT's look like they are half flat. What is correct? If I go to the tire shop they refuse to put more than what the door says. I don't mind running that pressure just the tires look funny at that pressure and make a lot of scrubbing noise at that pressure during sharp turning like in a parking lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011