New tire time coming soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did what I normally don't do, and that's run the tires nearly to the wear bars. We've had an exceptionally dry winter this year; no major storming since Thanksgiving, so I haven't replaced the tires, yet, but I am going to do it when my tax refund comes in. My question is what is the current "go to" TPMS sensor? Mine are going on 11 years, so I need to replace them. Thanks.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My trick to TPMS on a NNBS is have your favorite or preferred shop install their preferred sensor. It’s the Wild West if you purchase them yourself. The eBay seller I got mine from sold me 3 of 4 that failed. All of them were replaced on my dime as well as having to pay for mount & balance again.

Hindsight shows it’s best to leave the tire installer with the warranty work of a bad TPMS sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Michael. I'm going with the tire my parents put on their '12 Yukon XL as much for convenience as performance. I posted a picture of it on the 3rd page. It's from Les Schwab, and they've had pretty good performance from that tire, so far. Any idea how good their TPMS sensors are?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Deff go w/ the tire known to preform. Not sure what Les would supply for TPMS but if your lucky enough to replace all 4 while the tires are off and they’re still working you did well.

The key thing is getting something in writing on on how Les will honor the potential replacement labor if the TPMS fails on its warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, James and Michael. I ordered some Delco 13598771 sensors off Amazon; hopefully, they're fairly current production. I read that at one Les Schwab, the employees got bent because a customer brought in his own sensors. We'll see if that happens at mine. I'll ask about their brand of sensor, and see what sort of warranty they have; I can always send mine back to Amazon if I decide to use Schwab's.

I'm going to get the tires next week after my sensors come in. It worked out that when we finally get a good storm system the schools are now closed, and my wife didn't have to drive in it.

OP
OP
Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change of plans... I went ahead and did the tires today; wife said get it done. I went with Les Schwab's Open Range tire in P275/55R20.

Specs: Mazama Tires made by Sumitomo Rubber Co., Thailand

Capacity/pressure: 2,403 lbs. @51 PSI

65,000 mile treadwear warranty

I used the TPMS sensors they had on hand which were Schrader 20153. Schwab provides a 3 yr warranty on them and covers replacement and all labor. I'll be returning the delcos I ordered from Amazon.

Tires ride nicely. There is no floating or wandering that is sometimes exhibited by new tires. Tread depth is not quite as deep as the P265/70R17 size, but they have the same treadwear warranty. Anyway, we'll see how they perform. We're expecting more rain off and on through the weekend and more, heavier storming again next week.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change of plans... I went ahead and did the tires today; wife said get it done. I went with Les Schwab's Open Range tire in P275/55R20.

Specs: Mazama Tires made by Sumitomo Rubber Co., Thailand

Capacity/pressure: 2,403 lbs. @51 PSI

65,000 mile treadwear warranty

I used the TPMS sensors they had on hand which were Schrader 20153. Schwab provides a 3 yr warranty on them and covers replacement and all labor. I'll be returning the delcos I ordered from Amazon.

Tires ride nicely. There is no floating or wandering that is sometimes exhibited by new tires. Tread depth is not quite as deep as the P265/70R17 size, but they have the same treadwear warranty. Anyway, we'll see how they perform. We're expecting more rain off and on through the weekend and more, heavier storming again next week.
pics or it didn't happen!