New owner. With a few Questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobielon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, Finally decided to let the 03 go. 03 SLT that had 153k. Was a great truck, didn't ever have any real problems.

03.jpg

With the family growing and lots of trips planned i bought this yesturday

Yukon.jpg

07 XL SLT Quad Buckets w Nav and autoride. 146k on it.

Very clean one owner.

Drove a few hundred miles to get it and it drives very nice. Test drove 5 or so of the new body styles to get the feel of them and this one drove nicer than some with half this mileage.

Anyway, It has a few issues

This looks nice, but......will not read discs

Nav.jpg

1. Most important (to the kids) The DVD system is not working. The Nav and XM work, but not the DVD/CD. When the dvd is inserted above the nav screen it says "unable to read disc" tried a few different movies and no dice. Also will not read cd's. When i had it inspected at a GM dealer the tech said that when that happens the whole head unit needs to be replaced. Tried the lens cleaning disc and that didn't help. So what are my options?

My goal is to continue to use the OE DVD screen in back and have the system function as normal with the sound running through the car's speakers. From what i gather, only an OE deck will work with that system. Is this true? If it is, where would you recommend purchasing an OE deck from? The dealer quoted about 2k for one.

Is there a company that I can send my unit to for repair?

Nav is not important to me, so could i switch to a non nav OE deck to save some cash?

Also, with the car totally shut off, the key out, and door open etc.. there is an audible hum from the head unit area. Sounds like a computer cooling fan or a disc spinning. Is this normal? I removed the nav disc and it was quieter, but still audible.

Any other ideas to keep the kids quiet on 9 hr trips? :)

#2 The inspection revealed the airbags are leaking in the back. I often tow an 18' Sea Ray in the summer so I was interested in this feature.

Are there better Air bags than oem i should get to replace these?

Also if i just pulled the fuse on the compressor and did not change the bags would the rear end sag when unloaded? Or just not level out when loaded down?

Other than that it just has a few minor leaks. Was pumped my K and N filter swithced right over ;)

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride! When the door is open and you hear that whine, it's normal. 2012 illuminated that noise with a hard drive based unit.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have Rear Seat Entertainment aka the flip down lcd for the rear seats? If you do then you have DVD movie watching capabilities. If you don't then your nav screen is DVD-ROM -only- meaning only nav discs can go in there. If you are trying to insert the DVD movie into the nav disc slot then that's why it won't work (if you have it at all that is). It goes in a secondary slow behind the screen that can only be opened when the car is in park. You go into your settings and change the disc out by clicking on a button on the lcd screen. The physical clickable button is for the nav disc only (not movies).

OP
OP
B

Bobielon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have Rear Seat Entertainment aka the flip down lcd for the rear seats? If you do then you have DVD movie watching capabilities. If you don't then your nav screen is DVD-ROM -only- meaning only nav discs can go in there. If you are trying to insert the DVD movie into the nav disc slot then that's why it won't work (if you have it at all that is). It goes in a secondary slow behind the screen that can only be opened when the car is in park. You go into your settings and change the disc out by clicking on a button on the lcd screen. The physical clickable button is for the nav disc only (not movies).

Yep Flip down screen in back. There is only one slot behind the screen. I believe only the nav disc goes in there. From what i have seen the dvd or cd goes into the exposed slot above the screen only. That is where i get the disc read error...

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep Flip down screen in back. There is only one slot behind the screen. I believe only the nav disc goes in there. From what i have seen the dvd or cd goes into the exposed slot above the screen only. That is where i get the disc read error...

You are correct about this. And indeed you unfortunately have a problem. I'm not sure about having it repaired but maybe you could check eBay or wrecking yards?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did not work when i brought it, the delaer sent it out to theri repair shop to fix it. since i had already taken the truck home them sent it directly to me. the radio shop charged them 600 dollars to fix it. i dont know if its the best deal but it was cheaper then the dealer shelling out 1200. they have new radios with the hard disk for 1600 in another thread. you can find the regular one on ebay for 800.
The sound is notmal its the navigation disk loading.
i suspect my rear shocks are leaking too. going to take to the dealer this week since i am under the bumper to bumper.... i will advise.

jcrack_corn

Reaction score
not sure why you would buy one of these vehicles with 150k miles on it..i am the biggest kool-aid drinker for the gm engines, BUT everything else on the truck falls apart around this time (airbags, all rubber components/hoses, all boots, all ball joints, water pump -- could be on 2nd one already), new rotors (if not on 2nd set already)....power seats? still work? and obviously the wear and tear on the headunit.

anyway.....it is very easy to send video from any aftermarket head unit to the factory screen (and of course the audio will be through the factory speakers)...so your options are wide open to pick something. I would just get something used on ebay and get a plug kit.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ah yes I had it flipped. Was just making sure you put it in the right slot. Top is dvd movies and behind the screen is nav discs.

OP
OP
B

Bobielon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

This is my plan so far.

Plan to install the Kenwood DDX-470 head unit. Looks to do everything I am looking for. XM, Onstar, steering wheel controls, iPhone, backup camera etc.. It does not have nav, but on the rare occasion I'd need it I could use my iPhone. Also can play video while rolling up front :)

Haven't heard the compressor kick on much, must have just been all of us getting in and out with the key on while dicking with the DVD issue that was making it run. Prob replace the bags in the next year or two though since the dealer said they are leaking a bit.

As far as the miles, I'm not too concerned. I drove a handful of these including a 2012 with 10k on it and this one felt just as tight and solid as the low mile 2012. Super clean inside and out. Besides the issues noted, everything else on the truck works, so far ;) it has New tires and brakes. drove an 2008 with 80k on it was rougher than my 03!! For only paying $16k for it I can afford to fix things as they come, rather than financing a late model for $40k.. Just my .002.

Prob get to the deck install on sat, I'll post a few shots when complete.

Last edited:

JeRM number 9

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm on board with your 2 cents. Bought an 05 in 08 with 80,000, just traded it in on an 08 with 89,000 on it. Currently on first road trip StL to Naples FL. Now days time concerns me more than mileage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albethere

Latest posts