New owner 06 z71 Suburban- o2 sensors and “stability system disabled”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarolinaBurb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New purchase of a family trip/ boat hauler…..clean one owner 145k miles in decent shape.

all messages and lights were present at purchase but I test drove it for a day at least so figured worth a shot.

Following issues:
-1) CEL light on pulled codes and got P0030 and P0053 ….looks like o2 sensors. Should I just replace all at the same time?

-2) Stability system disabled error message ……also have the traction control (TC) light on…I assume these are related. Lots of reading in the searches but has anybody found most likely places to start here? Not sure if related but the dash switch (2 / 4hi/4lo lights are all unlit? I was under the assumption that the 2 would be lit under normal operation.

-3) oil pressure gauge is maxed out

-4) have to turn the key twice to crank…..battery issue? Been an extra car with low use

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

IMO, change the O2 sensors. Then, I would check all electrical grounds in the engine bay and along the frame rails. Clean them up and re-tighten them, to ensure a solid connection. These trucks are very sensitive to poor ground connections and throw a lot of codes, until they are cleaned up and re-tightened.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As @Joseph Garcia stated a good starting point is grounds. The stabilitrac traction lights go together mostly. I believe a bidirectional scan tool can diagnose both issues quickly so you don’t waste parts. The wheel speed sensor seems like a common culprit. Folks with much more detail will chime in too.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon

What @Joseph Garcia and @Big Mama said. IMO, I would do all the sensors because they are a wear item and if I remember right are recommended at 150k miles anyway. The grounds can wreck havoc with other problems and there are many many many threads here about them. Check out this link: https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevro...e7e5cd24ed24635&at_ab=per-2&at_pos=3&at_tot=4

Oil pressure gauge could be related to grounds but likely the sensor itself. Use a GM sensor: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...eQFTpkEvSMmiemd7RTjYsN27qUSi7voMbCMSk25AHihhI

Are you saying that the engine will not crank at all on the first key turn attempt and then will crank on the second try? Along with the grounds check all battery connections and if you can duplicate the "no crank at all on the first key turn attempt" hold it there and tap on the starter body to see if the starter kicks in and cranks engine. If so, needs starter.

The other stability and traction codes error messages is likely going to be wiring/connections at the wheel speed sensors for the front hub bearings or the hubs themselves that are bad/loose and causing dame to the sensors. Also could be grounds related.

Flachzwilling

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me chime in on the Stabilitrak issue: You might want to check out the 4WD-switch. These things are fault-prone and you're right: Some light has to be on there. When I replaced my switch (~25 $), suddenly my Stabilitrak started working.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Let me chime in on the Stabilitrak issue: You might want to check out the 4WD-switch. These things are fault-prone and you're right: Some light has to be on there. When I replaced my switch (~25 $), suddenly my Stabilitrak started working.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2