New-Nivomats... ( Old subject/new problem ) Do they exist??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, well...... I just saved a few bucks.....
So, all you people in this forum..... A couple months ago, I replaced my front shocks, with a pair of "OEM rated" Bilstiens...... What should I replace my rears with, .... since I have a ZW7 'premium' suspension..... ?
BTW.... If I have a "premium ride"..... What makes it, premium??
OK. Disregarding my previous comment regarding the G65 RPO code, I just found this:

What is the ZW7 suspension package?

Premium Smooth Ride: indicated by the RPO code ZW7. This suspension uses a conventional suspension in the front, but the rear uses a self-contained, self- leveling Nivomat shock in the rear.

So, now I am confused, as well. @Doubeleive

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Disregarding my previous comment regarding the G65 RPO code, I just found this:

What is the ZW7 suspension package?

Premium Smooth Ride: indicated by the RPO code ZW7. This suspension uses a conventional suspension in the front, but the rear uses a self-contained, self- leveling Nivomat shock in the rear.

So, now I am confused, as well. @Doubeleive
So,.... I'm not crazy....... it's confusing.......
( What does the RPO code, " G65" actually describe?? )

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searching, Rock Auto, etc, The specific description for a "Nivomat" , shows many variations, for ..RWD, 4WD, ( ext. 20" wheels, not Z71.... )......
I want..... 2005 YUKON XL SLT 4 WD... ZW7 Premium ride - NIVOMAT.....
But none describe it as such..... There are variables..... when selecting.....
Then there's a selection.... Sachs ( WHICH I WANT)...., but the other manufacturer's VERSIONS, but Nivomat is not mentioned....
Grrrrrrrrrr..... I want OEM/ Sachs !! (( Part # 580-354 OR, 530-532 )) ??????

Amazon describes the Yukon XL, "OEM/ZW7" ( "530-532" shock ) as an "air lift premium shock".... BUT NIVOMAT is not said.......

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Based on your pic in post #8, I think your 4WD has regular shocks in the rear, first item on the RA list (filtered for GM & rear). The other three are self-leveling shocks and yours do not appear to be that. The RWD chassis seems to have the Nivomat shocks (2nd item on list below).

1716572363607.png

Can you read any of the characters on the stickers that are on your shocks? Post a pic? How about on the coil springs?

Here's what one of my Nivomats looks like (2004 short WB, 4WD Tahoe); not the same as yours.

Nivomat shock1 small.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on your pic in post #8, I think your 4WD has regular shocks in the rear, first item on the RA list (filtered for GM & rear). The other three are self-leveling shocks and yours do not appear to be that. The RWD chassis seems to have the Nivomat shocks (2nd item on list below).

View attachment 429135

Can you read any of the characters on the stickers that are on your shocks? Post a pic? How about on the coil springs?

Here's what one of my Nivomats looks like (2004 short WB, 4WD Tahoe); not the same as yours.

View attachment 429139
I found & purchased a pair of Sachs " Nivomat" shocks......
Nivomat is the old description of these shocks.......
Sachs stopped using their label..... KYB, etc., sells the "Nivomat".... Made by Sachs.....
I found a SMART guy, who sells only shocks..... I spoke with him for a while..... Buyers get frustrated, due to the multiple "terms" of how the shocks perform..... By the different sellers.

The shocks, on my Yukon.... ( the photo I took )..... Are NOT the correct shocks. They are not the original Nivomat. ( I sent the guy the photo )......
He said, the Sachs shock also supports the rear suspension, in a way, regular shocks don't!!
He said, I am going to love the Sachs..... Much better ride.....

He sells 'used shocks', but they are checked & tested... He spends his time, pulling good / used shocks from vehicles..... Many are low mileage, etc. ( He can tell ).....

Attachments

• 20240524_140621.jpg
    20240524_140621.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 2

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, good luck with that; I hope it works out. Nivomat is the technology developed by SACHS, and doesn't necessarily show up as a descriptor on every brand that offers it. Based on what I've seen I still don't think yours came with Nivomat technology for the rear shocks; I could be wrong.

I'd be curious if anyone else with an '05 or '06 4WD XL on this forum has ZW7 AND G65 on the RPO list, or if only the ZW7 code shows up.

If your rear shocks were changed, then, perhaps so were the springs. Better start researching those.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, good luck with that; I hope it works out. Nivomat is the technology developed by SACHS, and doesn't necessarily show up as a descriptor on every brand that offers it. Based on what I've seen I still don't think yours came with Nivomat technology for the rear shocks; I could be wrong.

I'd be curious if anyone else with an '05 or '06 4WD XL on this forum has ZW7 AND G65 on the RPO list, or if only the ZW7 code shows up.

If your rear shocks were changed, then, perhaps so were the springs. Better start researching those.
I think, I saw a label on a spring....... Thanks for the head's up......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjbaker84

Latest posts