New Fog Light Observation!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly correct. Except that the DRL’s will go off w/ the headlights once the Recall BCM software gets applied; as that is what the recall is for: Noncompliance w/ Federal Motor Vehicle safety standard requiring DRL to extinguish when headlights are on.
I think when they say the drl will not turn OFF they really mean they will not DIM. I cannot think of one modern vehicle I've seen in real life that doesn't have an outer ring or a halo or a C or a whatever shape the drl shape may be that is not illuminated when the headlights are on. Certainly not any newer body style GM suv, I see them all over the place with headlights on and the C illuminated. I think the recall is for people like the OP who stated his drl now stays bright when the headlights are on and do not dim like they are supposed to. There is no way GM is going to make the C lights on the gm or chevy or the strips on the escalade go completely dark when the headlights are on, I just don't believe that to be true.

As for the illuminated front emblem they are dim already, at least ours is. It is tied to the parking lights so it only comes on when they come on (headlights or fog lights on or switch put in parking light position) and then the drls dim to the same brightness level of the emblem.

IMG_4032.JPG

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think when they say the drl will not turn OFF they really mean they will not DIM. I cannot think of one modern vehicle I've seen in real life that doesn't have an outer ring or a halo or a C or a whatever shape the drl shape may be that is not illuminated when the headlights are on. Certainly not any newer body style GM suv, I see them all over the place with headlights on and the C illuminated. I think the recall is for people like the OP who stated his drl now stays bright when the headlights are on and do not dim like they are supposed to. There is no way GM is going to make the C lights on the gm or chevy or the strips on the escalade go completely dark when the headlights are on, I just don't believe that to be true.

As for the illuminated front emblem they are dim already, at least ours is. It is tied to the parking lights so it only comes on when they come on (headlights or fog lights on or switch put in parking light position) and then the drls dim to the same brightness level of the emblem.

View attachment 388501
I hope you are correct. Will see when I get the update…

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you are correct. Will see when I get the update…
I just received the notice for the recall on my Denali about the DRL's, when reading the recall it does mention that the DRL's are suppose to dim when the headlights are on and in some vehicles they stay bright as if the headlights are off. The update to the BCM is suppose to correct this so they dim when the headlights are on.

Funny thing though, I just checked mine tonight and the DRL's do dim when the headlights are on, wondering if I can avoid the update/recall and get it cleared as I do not have the issue. I just don't like software updates unless they are really needed.

EDIT:
Just read the actual recall from GM and they say the DRL's are suppose to "Deactivate" and not "Dim" so you are correct and will have to find out when it is updated. Not sure of the Federal Standard but some vehicles do just Dim the DRL

Last edited:

DxOCD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked my 2022 Denali yesterday. I was facing a big window and could see my DRLs go off when I turned on the fog lights. I will be checking for updates or maybe just wait for my next visit to the Dealer.

Here is one that drives my Wife crazy, no light in the glovebox. I looked to see if I was missing it or if it was just out, but there does not seem to be a light in there. Wife thinks it is a serious omission on a vehicle like this.
Just had this same conversation with the wife this week

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be ignoring any and all updates that come out in the future. As of now everything on our yukon works as it should so I don't feel the need to change anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. These vehicle updates will probably become just like the smartphone updates that magically make your older generation phone not work as well after an update so you have to come in and pay for the latest and greatest phone. Great way to drum up business for the phone giants but I'm not interested in risking this with the family truckster.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be ignoring any and all updates that come out in the future. As of now everything on our yukon works as it should so I don't feel the need to change anything. If it ain't broke don't fix it. These vehicle updates will probably become just like the smartphone updates that magically make your older generation phone not work as well after an update so you have to come in and pay for the latest and greatest phone. Great way to drum up business for the phone giants but I'm not interested in risking this with the family truckster.
Gonna be difficult to “reject” a recall filed w/ the NHTSA, esp if you take your vehicle in for service at a GM dealer.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And later that day after posting what I said our Yukon went limp and died on the side of the road without warning…highly doubt it’s related to the update but pretty ironic

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And later that day after posting what I said our Yukon went limp and died on the side of the road without warning…highly doubt it’s related to the update but pretty ironic
Clearly the AI is reading the forums and found you guilty so it decided to punish you o_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beat Ta hoes