New brake parts arrived

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two new rotors, new ceramic pads, and two new front brake hoses arrived this morning (yes, Sunday delivery). It's all AC-Delco Professional level components to replace the 23 year old rubber and to zero time the rotors. I'll have a new pressure bleeder soon, with a GM cap (I wish they'd gone to the BMW type), and about four quarts of DOT 4 fluid to bleed the whole system.

The new hoses look good, new copper washers were included for the banjo fittings.

I'll replace the rear hose and inspect the wheel cylinders before the total bleed.
Edit: I finally found the rear flexible hose for our trucks.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-18J2064-Professional-Hydraulic-Assembly/dp/B000S2KZVE/

Any tips for bleeding the anti-lock system would be appreciated.

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn’t need to bleed the ABS module, but a scan tool is typically used in those cases. The sequence activates the internal valves and purges the air into the lines. It would then be bled at all four corners like normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes as stated you will need a Tech 2 or similar to bleed the ABS. If you just want to flush and fill with the Dot 3 that's in there now you can just bleed all 4 corners.

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
In a related, older thread, @iamdub stated:

Bleed them as you would normally. Right when you start to press the brake pedal, turn the key to ON (not START) while you continue your pedal stroke. You should be pressing the pedal slowly- about 2-3 seconds form start to stop. Hold the pedal when you get to the bottom, turn the key OFF, pump once more, then do they key ON pump cycle again. Do this 4 or 5 times. When you first turn the key ON, all the systems do a self-check and the ABS solenoids are activated during this self-check. They're not constantly held open like the TechII or MDI would do, but firing them while you're pumping the fluid through the system a few times should be plenty to move the old fluid and any trapped air out of the ABS solenoid block and down the line towards the calipers. I've done this countless times on various makes and models of vehicles I've bled the brakes on and have always had a firm pedal afterwards. NOTE: Lay a 2x4 under the brake pedal to keep the pedal from bottoming out. You can tear the seals in the master cylinder by stroking it beyond it's normal range of travel.

I'm not against owning a TechII or equivalent. But, for a simple brake/bleed job, you can achieve the same results with a piece of 2x4 and a few extra turns of the key.
So do you perform the sequence he describes once, and then bleed all four calipers? Or do you do this four times, once for each caliper?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a related, older thread, @iamdub stated:

Bleed them as you would normally. Right when you start to press the brake pedal, turn the key to ON (not START) while you continue your pedal stroke. You should be pressing the pedal slowly- about 2-3 seconds form start to stop. Hold the pedal when you get to the bottom, turn the key OFF, pump once more, then do they key ON pump cycle again. Do this 4 or 5 times. When you first turn the key ON, all the systems do a self-check and the ABS solenoids are activated during this self-check. They're not constantly held open like the TechII or MDI would do, but firing them while you're pumping the fluid through the system a few times should be plenty to move the old fluid and any trapped air out of the ABS solenoid block and down the line towards the calipers. I've done this countless times on various makes and models of vehicles I've bled the brakes on and have always had a firm pedal afterwards. NOTE: Lay a 2x4 under the brake pedal to keep the pedal from bottoming out. You can tear the seals in the master cylinder by stroking it beyond it's normal range of travel.

I'm not against owning a TechII or equivalent. But, for a simple brake/bleed job, you can achieve the same results with a piece of 2x4 and a few extra turns of the key.
So do you perform the sequence he describes once, and then bleed all four calipers? Or do you do this four times, once for each caliper?
I’ve never heard of doing it that way so you’d have to ask him. If he doesn’t chime in you can send him a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rs401