NEED HELP truck doesn’t warm up literally - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny_96tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have this 1996 tahoe with a 5.7 I’ve had for awhile did an engine swap from a Chevy pickup truck same engine just in the summer one thing I Always noticed my gauge would never get to operating temp so I thought maybe it has a colder thermostat but I’m not sure this is pretty cold for a motor and I get like no heat lol so next thing is probably change that out. But I’ve read that didn’t help some people. Coming close to winter so tryna see if anyone else has had these issues because I’m lost with all the shit I’ve read up. I also need help finding where all my vacuum hoses go I think I got them right but wanna make sure! Can’t seem to find a proper diagram or video here’s a pic of my temp gauge after running for 20 mins and if you guys need any pictures of anything else please let me know

Attachments

• 95A46A13-6B4F-4B6A-A807-12D8052C8635.jpeg
    95A46A13-6B4F-4B6A-A807-12D8052C8635.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Jonny_96tahoe

Jonny_96tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have this 1996 tahoe with a 5.7 I’ve had for awhile did an engine swap from a Chevy pickup truck same engine just in the summer one thing I Always noticed my gauge would never get to operating temp so I thought maybe it has a colder thermostat but I’m not sure this is pretty cold for a motor and I get like no heat lol so next thing is probably change that out. But I’ve read that didn’t help some people. Coming close to winter so tryna see if anyone else has had these issues because I’m lost with all the shit I’ve read up. I also need help finding where all my vacuum hoses go I think I got them right but wanna make sure! Can’t seem to find a proper diagram or video here’s a pic of my temp gauge after running for 20 mins and if you guys need any pictures of anything else please let me know
After running & driving btw! Temps were that low always are even in the summer we would maybe see highest of 130 on the gauge. I know there’s a lotta things to check but definitely wanted to make this for more ideas. Thanks a lot guys.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a cheap IR temp gun and start shooting everywhere to verify what you have and don't have.
Start at thermostat housing and block/head temp sensors.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry but I cannot make heads or tails of some of what you are saying. Sentences jumbled together. Are you saying that you had the same problem with old engine? Only since the new engine? Used the existing thermostat that was in the swap over engine? Did not change the thermostat when swapped engine? If not, then why not? Cheap enough to do. Change it and see what happens. AS @exp500 said, yes, get the temp gun and get solid info instead of guessing. Condition of radiator? Sure the temp sender is working correctly?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do the OBS cooling systems need the same restriction as the NBS in the return line to the surge tank?
I do not believe so but I was wrong recently about a cir clip location for shaft reinstall and now I am gun shy on "maybe/maybe not" questions. :banghead:

OP
OP
Jonny_96tahoe

Jonny_96tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry but I cannot make heads or tails of some of what you are saying. Sentences jumbled together. Are you saying that you had the same problem with old engine? Only since the new engine? Used the existing thermostat that was in the swap over engine? Did not change the thermostat when swapped engine? If not, then why not? Cheap enough to do. Change it and see what happens. AS @exp500 said, yes, get the temp gun and get solid info instead of guessing. Condition of radiator? Sure the temp sender is working correctly?
Hehe my bad was a little stoned before bed last night!.so I never had this issue with the old motor and didn’t get to grab to many old parts off it sadly. Swapped motor seemed fine just ran super cool which I was fine with in the summer but now it’s getting to - weather here in Canada so time to figure this out. Radiator seems good no leaks or anything anywhere. & Temp sender is on the driver side of the block right? Haven’t gotten to that yet but if that was broken would that not let that truck actually warm up because I barely got heat. Temp gun & new thermostat will give that a go first thanks everyone!

OP
OP
Jonny_96tahoe

Jonny_96tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OUU another question for y’all I noticed after swapping this motor as well after abit my brakes got way more squishy pads look fine still brake fluid is ok and hey when the truck is cold my breaks will be super soft but get to a point about halfway where it instantly locks up, Until it warms up then they just stay soft but stops the truck decently. 1 abs wire is cut and has been since the last motor. So I’m thinking this motor has something wrong with vacuum and that’s why I was asking about that to just forgot about the brakes acting up to!

OP
OP
Jonny_96tahoe

Jonny_96tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hopefully I made this make sense With the pictures!
OUU another question for y’all I noticed after swapping this motor as well after abit my brakes got way more squishy pads look fine still brake fluid is ok and hey when the truck is cold my breaks will be super soft but get to a point about halfway where it instantly locks up, Until it warms up then they just stay soft but stops the truck decently. 1 abs wire is cut and has been since the last motor. So I’m thinking this motor has something wrong with vacuum and that’s why I was asking about that to just forgot about the brakes acting up to
56D56BC1-039D-43FB-9131-9B91B6531BFA.jpeg
5B59C1A6-F04A-4961-88CE-86DBF452C109.jpeg82B3649A-4A16-48B8-9493-4707723340EF.jpegE9420F12-BCDA-48A0-BF50-813B6825BF27.jpeg411CDD2D-D8FF-47BC-9ED6-57D79FA200EA.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01