navigation questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always hit a salvage yard and get a stock unit and mounting hardware and wire it in.

I like this idea but the stock camera resolution is a bit weak and based off my observations, doesnt have ability to work with the additional lines newer units put on the camera view to help with curves. After knowing what I know, I rather find a good way to hide a newer camera than invest in an older.

justbabs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 1210 will be compatible with any backup can as long as the camera has an RCA out.

Where do you plan on mounting it?
I'm thinking of drilling a hole right above the license plate. I need to see the trailer hitch, as well as what's behind the vehicle. I'd like it not to be very noticeable. That's why I'm looking at the eyeball mount. I will take measurements and compare to the specs for mounting that camera, before ordering.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of drilling a hole right above the license plate. I need to see the trailer hitch, as well as what's behind the vehicle. I'd like it not to be very noticeable. That's why I'm looking at the eyeball mount. I will take measurements and compare to the specs for mounting that camera, before ordering.

I seriously, not a half hour ago, in the dark, just hooked up my 5x8 open trailer with my factory camera in about 5 minutes, i was able to see behind me and able to stop just as the ball lined up with the tongue, 1 shot.....just any fyi

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I agree... I have the factory camera and its location is just about perfect IMO... I can see my hitch while hooking up my trailer without issue. I also agree about the factory cameras resolution being less than stellar, it wasn't real noticeable on the stock navigation unit but on the GM1210 with the higher resolution screen it is more obvious. I think I would try and score the factory camera mount and then try to find a better camera that would fit into it. Or just get one and mount it where the stock one mounts. As far as drilling a hole above your tag goes.... I would make double sure that there is nothing behind it inside the gate before drilling.

justbabs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have a camera now, as my Tahoe is just an LT. Where is the OEM camera mounted? That's the look I'm going for.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a camera now, as my Tahoe is just an LT. Where is the OEM camera mounted? That's the look I'm going for.

Right above the license plate, tucked up, u should prob have a plastic or rubber plug there tho...

Mines an lt also, was just optioned in there, im guessing your wired already, just need camera and rearview mirror....

Last edited:

justbabs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right above the license plate, tucked up, u should prob have a plastic or rubber plug there tho...

Mines an lt also, was just optioned in there, im guessing your wired already, just need camera and rearview mirror....
That's right where I was thinking. Right between the bulbs for the plate. There is some plastic there. I'll take a look in the daylight to see exactly what it looks like. Thanks.

justbabs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know the question was directed at someone else but I have the same unit...

Yes it comes with an external mic.

Yes I mounted the GPS antenna in the factory location under the dash panel.

Where exactly is the factory location for the GPS antenna? I just got the CS-GM1210-CA and will be installing it as soon as I receive the Rostra 300-EYEBALL Universal Multi-Axis Flat-Mount CMOS Color Camera. My Tahoe doesn't have the factory NAV unit, so I have nothing to go by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaymerkz