My Z71 seems lower than it should

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a 08 Z71 and it seems like it sits lower to the ground than others I have seen on here.

Maybe its just the wheel/tire combo that makes it seem lower?

It feels like the shocks in the rear might be due for replacement, would that cause the rear to sag a bit?

does anyone have stock axle to wheelwell measurements for a stock 08 Z71?

Any input would be great, thanks!

20200227_174707.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have auto leveling out back? Do you hear. Compressor running more than a few seconds? If shocks are ok I’d guess the PO put lowering springs. 2-3” would be my guess

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a 08 Z71 and it seems like it sits lower to the ground than others I have seen on here.

It feels like the shocks in the rear might be due for replacement, would that cause the rear to sag a bit?

View attachment 241842

I can look up specs but need your GVWR, your suspension's RPO code and whether or not you have RPO AS3. Oh, and the wheel and tire sizes.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 241842
Remember... a lot of the trucks on this site have leveling kits or cut inner fender wells to run bigger tires, Yours does not seem that low to me. What size tire do you currently have?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have auto leveling out back? Do you hear. Compressor running more than a few seconds? If shocks are ok I’d guess the PO put lowering springs. 2-3” would be my guess
As far as I know the suspension is stock, it has the Z71 suspension just just basic springs and shocks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they're 275/55/r20 on 20 inch wheels.

View attachment 241885

She looks lowered, especially with an actual Z71 suspension. Probably a 2-3 drop. What do you think Chris? @iamdub

Ok, your GVWR is 7300 LBS and this model with those wheels and tires has a base curb weight of 5450 LBS. If you take the cargo weight capacity on the Tire and Loading Information and subtract it from your GVWR you get the actual curb weight of your truck with a fuel tank of fuel as delivered from the factory. So if your over 5450, the numbers I'm about to give you will be somewhat different.

Datum Hole. This is an oblong hole in the frame behind the front wheels. The height from the ground to the Datum Hole will be anywhere from 15.4 inches to 13.4 inches. The low number is if your truck was at its maximum weight of 7300 pounds. Make sense?

Next point is the Step Point at the rear of the front doors. Range is 22.6 to 20.7. Step Point 2, the bottom of the rear doors is 23 to 21.1 inches.

Next you have your rear cargo load height, 26.3 to 23.4 inches and finally the height of the frame at the back of the truck, 15.8 or 13.9 inches.

GM doesn't use fenderwell measurements. These numbers come from an Upfitter's Manual called Vehicle and Frame Height Charts, the 2008 edition.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really looks like how mine ('08 2WD non-Z71) sat when stock except yours is a little higher in the front. I don't recall the measurements, but I thought the Z71s were about 1.25" higher. If yours was lowered, then it was very minimally, like maybe non-Z71 springs were swapped in. Them datum hole measurements that James listed would be your best bet. My guess is that it's 100% stock and your viewing point and/or the angle of the pic makes the fender gap look smaller. Are you a tall guy?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really looks like how mine ('08 2WD non-Z71) sat when stock except yours is a little higher in the front. I don't recall the measurements, but I thought the Z71s were about 1.25" higher. If yours was lowered, then it was very minimally, like maybe non-Z71 springs were swapped in. Them datum hole measurements that James listed would be your best bet. My guess is that it's 100% stock and your viewing point and/or the angle of the pic makes the fender gap look smaller. Are you a tall guy?
I looked today and I see that my rear springs are blue, is that factory Z71?