My 'Hoe smells like gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
Check the vent hose and valve by the charcoal canister, its top of the rear differencial.

Ahhh. That may well be it. I had a heck of a time with the rear brake line and that connects right above the rear diff. I'll start there and see. Thanks to all for the help/advice! Got a good line of things to look into now!

jbyler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue - that began just after getting the Denali back from the machine mechanic... I'm due to take it in soon, so I'm going to have him check it out. There's also a vibration of some sort that happens when the engine turns over. Something may be loose from all of the work they did...

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If nothing has ever been serviced with the gas tank pump or EVAP system then it's way past due for an inspection. You will likely find that a lot of it needs replacing. This will require a tank drop so you can inspect the pump for leaking and corrosion unless you can snake some camera in there. My bet is the pump is leaking.

About 3 years ago the previous owner sold me my 05 Tahoe with the gas smell problem. I didn't think anything of it. Just thought it was an EVAP issue. Boy was I wrong. It had a really bad persistent gas smell. Seemed to get worse, especially when it was in the garage. Seeing how it could possibly be serious I decided to play it safe and dropped the gas tank. I found that the pump was rusted (just like the picture shows). I ended up cleaning the tank, installed a new Bosch pump, bought new gas tank straps, and then replaced most of the EVAP related parts. That includes replacing the carbon canister, purge and vent solenoids and new nylon lines that tie it all together..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon

Latest posts