My propane powered 07 Burb LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KiwiClive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I just picked my 2001 Tahoe today from having LPG installed ( I am in New Zealand.) ( Liquified Petroleum gas) Petrol is $2.72 a litre ( 4.5 litres to a US gallon) so for a V8 LPG is the way to go as LPG is $1.35 approx a litre so it makes sense. My tank is 80 litre but 20% is kept free for safety so its 60 litres. Going to make for cheap running. Its expensive to install but over time will pay for itself with petrol only ever going up. There are no EV's over here that will ever tow anything heavy long distance.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just picked my 2001 Tahoe today from having LPG installed ( I am in New Zealand.) ( Liquified Petroleum gas) Petrol is $2.72 a litre ( 4.5 litres to a US gallon) so for a V8 LPG is the way to go as LPG is $1.35 approx a litre so it makes sense. My tank is 80 litre but 20% is kept free for safety so its 60 litres. Going to make for cheap running. Its expensive to install but over time will pay for itself with petrol only ever going up. There are no EV's over here that will ever tow anything heavy long distance.
There aren't any EVs like that over here either. :)

biglake

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If a conversion like this was done by someone knowledgeable and by someone that has experience with US vehicles, then they run fine. Usually you keep the OE gasoline tank and a CNG/LPG tank is added somewhere, in your case they replaced the spare tire with it. Sometimes these conversions are a crapshoot when the conversion shop tells the owner things like "don't tow on CNG/LPG, have it run on gasoline for that" because you then know they just slapped some standard tune on it and called it a day. Adjusting the injection times and other parameters of the gas control module takes some time.

These cars also require something called FlashLube so the valve seats don't burn away, unless the cylinder heads were redone and equipped with different seats. A stock 5.3 is not gas-capable from what I know. The spark plugs are usually changed to a different heat number.

Here in Germany CNG/LPG gas stations are rare, I only know of one (1) in my area. That is probably the reason why "gas cars" never really caught on, even though the German brands offered them equipped like this from the factory. They said that since gas burns much cleaner than gasoline you can extend the oil change interval and so on.

Mine runs on good old dinosaur juice, I don't drive that much so it's ok.
Picked up a nice 2012 w 5.3l gm installed impco bi fuel cng set up. I'd like to get it serviced / runs great but want to get it inspected , local dealers (mi) seem confused. Any ideas for this newbe.?

biglake

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a GM OEM installed system , talked to Chevy - no help, other than a suggestion to "call around" and ask dealers. Suprising comment from GM corporate HELP line.
I'm sure I'm not the only bi fuel cng owner ...
Anyone?

OP
OP
Kapitein

Kapitein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 4 months I finally got the Suburban back 2 days ago!! It's been sitting at the importer all this time waiting for it's Dutch licence plates.

There was quite a hold up with getting the LPG system certified, but it all worked out in the end.

So now the car is back, I can get on with modifying it

Attachments

• PXL_20230501_191344808.jpg
    PXL_20230501_191344808.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230501_134216255~2.jpg
    PXL_20230501_134216255~2.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 4

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That truck would be so much fun to drive around Amsterdam on all those tiny little streets. It’d look like you were dropping off embassy employees for a night on the town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792