My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Took our little Toby in on Tuesday to be fixed. Little guy did great and is already back to himself. Which is not good, need to keep him settled so he doesn't rip out his stiches. Resting peacefully right now.View attachment 422115

I really like that they came out with the soft cones. So much easier on the pets.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to remove the body side molding on my 2002 Tahoe. Not as easy as I thought it would be but not to bad. Did the driver side last week and the passenger side today. It left a lot of adhesive behind but the 3M adhesive removal disk was able to get most of it off along with 3M adhesive removal spray for final clean up. However, I still have a bit of work to do. I do like the look. I then took the car out of the garage for a quick wash, it's been awhile.

Passenger side with molding still on:
1.jpg

One of the reasons I decided to pull the molding:
2.jpg

After the molding and adhesive was removed followed by the wash. I like the look:
3.jpg
This is what I still need to figure out. This dark portion was right above the adhesive. The 3M wheel has little affect on it and the 3M chemical spray not any better. Driver's side not as pronounced but still there. I'm thinking of trying a good quality rubbing compound. Thoughts or ideas?
4.jpg

My 6.0L Engine Build

2002 Chevy Tahoe LS , 5.3L (flex fuel - Z) with 298,000 miles. Completely upgraded/rebuilt engine with upgraded oil pump, JBA Headers, Flow Master 70 muffler, dual exhaust, Vinci's Performance Cam, Yella Terra Roller Rockers, Volant cold air intake/AEM dry filter, electric fans and of course Black Bear Performance Tune. Complete fully upgraded/rebuilt transmission. Mechman's high output alternator. Upgraded brakes. Trucool transmission cooler. Upgraded stereo system - Kenwood double din stereo, aftermarket speakers, subwoofer and amplifier including backup camera.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to remove the body side molding on my 2002 Tahoe. Not as easy as I thought it would be but not to bad. Did the driver side last week and the passenger side today. It left a lot of adhesive behind but the 3M adhesive removal disk was able to get most of it off along with 3M adhesive removal spray for final clean up. However, I still have a bit of work to do. I do like the look. I then took the car out of the garage for a quick wash, it's been awhile.

Passenger side with molding still on:
View attachment 422928

One of the reasons I decided to pull the molding:
View attachment 422929

After the molding and adhesive was removed followed by the wash. I like the look:
View attachment 422930
This is what I still need to figure out. This dark portion was right above the adhesive. The 3M wheel has little affect on it and the 3M chemical spray not any better. Driver's side not as pronounced but still there. I'm thinking of trying a good quality rubbing compound. Thoughts or ideas?
View attachment 422931

My 6.0L Engine Build

2002 Chevy Tahoe LS , 5.3L (flex fuel - Z) with 298,000 miles. Completely upgraded/rebuilt engine with upgraded oil pump, JBA Headers, Flow Master 70 muffler, dual exhaust, Vinci's Performance Cam, Yella Terra Roller Rockers, Volant cold air intake/AEM dry filter, electric fans and of course Black Bear Performance Tune. Complete fully upgraded/rebuilt transmission. Mechman's high output alternator. Upgraded brakes. Trucool transmission cooler. Upgraded stereo system - Kenwood double din stereo, aftermarket speakers, subwoofer and amplifier including backup camera.

Looks clean! The GMT800s look good with no molding since they have the body line. The GMT900s are kinda iffy- they look clean, but also maybe too plain.

That's dirt embedded in the clear coat. You're gonna have to use a rubbing or polishing compound. Maybe clay bar if you have the time and elbow grease. I use a polishing compound since it's less aggressive. Takes longer, but you're gonna have to finish with it anyway. I bought a ~$15 orbital buffer from Walmart and polishing compound for when I de-badged mine. It was the same as what Harbor Freight had. Just a different color of plastic and included extra bonnets for the same price as HF's offering, or therebouts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks clean! The GMT800s look good with no molding since they have the body line. The GMT900s are kinda iffy- looking clean, but also maybe too plain.

That's dirt embedded in the clear coat. You're gonna have to use a rubbing or polishing compound. Maybe clay bar if you have the time and elbow grease. I use a polishing compound since it's less aggressive. Takes longer, but you're gonna have to finish with it anyway. I bought a ~$15 orbital buffer from Walmart and polishing compound for when I de-badged mine. It was the same as what Harbor Freight had. Just a different color of plastic and included extra bonnets for the same price as HF's offering, or therebouts.
Thank you. I did pick up some rubbing compound (3D One Car Scratch and Swirl Remover - Rubbing Compound & Finishing Polish) and plan on attacking this on the weekend. We'll see how successful I am in getting this crap off.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I did pick up some rubbing compound (3D One Car Scratch and Swirl Remover - Rubbing Compound & Finishing Polish) and plan on attacking this on the weekend. We'll see how successful I am in getting this crap off.

It'll probably come off quicker than you're expecting. You just have a lot to do. I just had small areas where the badges were. I have some to do on the roof where the rack mounts were. Out of site, out of mind.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never got to trying out my rubbing compound on my discoloration after removing my body side molding. Because, I received a text from my wife last Monday that our new puppy, who isn't so small anymore and is so very athletic, jumped over our 3 foot decorative/garden fence ( yes, I assumed it was a possibility). Decided he wanted to go for a walk about. Our older dog Molly informed my wife and then jumped over the fence (which she never does) chased him down and grabbed his leg. He was placed on a leader until I installed a new fence. So, the last several days was spent chasing down, purchasing the materials and then installing a taller fence. All that material was sitting in my garage stall as I worked to get the fence installed. Finished on Tuesday and wow Toby was so happy to have his whole backyard back for his use.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine purchased a set of light assemblies that he was not happy with so he gave them to me because he knew I was looking for something different since my assemblies were getting so beat up. Installed them today. I like the look. Not bad for "free to me".

Lights.jpg

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil and filter was changed the following weekend. The oil filter did not come off easily and I was the one who installed it. Did not think i over tighten it, but wow - crumpled it up pretty good removing it. Very little oil in my catch can. Looking good under the hood and engine bay. Removed the cover on my engine build and everything still looks good and still well preserved. Should be ordering those heads in a couple of weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20