My Fashionably Late 03 Denali XL Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It was now time to make it where I can hear all 366ci of this LQ4. Quick trip to my go-to exhaust shop and I got x2 Jones Performance Flowpacks (single chamber) and 4.5” black slant-tip exhaust tips installed. I was honestly unaware that these Denalis came true-dual from the factory (meaning no Y pipe, 2 mid-pipes connect to a 2-in, 1-out muffler). I was actually impressed by how good it sounded with stock manifolds, and it took the wife some convincing to get used to. It’s loud enough to turn heads when accelerating but it doesn’t drone or overpower the stereo. I’m not even sure if I want to go with headers yet because it’s already pretty damn aggressive.

Cold start video:

View attachment 412682

View attachment 412677

View attachment 412679

View attachment 412680

I also replaced the chrome intake with a black one with blue couplers to match the painted valve covers. I know there’s no power to be gained until I get tuned, but who doesn’t love that intake “wooosh”?

View attachment 412681
Those "cold air intakes" actually suck in underhood hot air. The stock air boxes are actually pretty good for sucking in cold air through the passenger side fender. What a lot of guys do is open up the intake side of the airbox--part that's butted up against the fender--then use some foam tape from HD, then get a good air filter. Up to you if you'd want to use a k+n. Some guys think the oil gums up the maf.

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those "cold air intakes" actually suck in underhood hot air. The stock air boxes are actually pretty good for sucking in cold air through the passenger side fender. What a lot of guys do is open up the intake side of the airbox--part that's butted up against the fender--then use some foam tape from HD, then get a good air filter. Up to you if you'd want to use a k+n. Some guys think the oil gums up the maf.
It had the same style intake on it when I got it so the factory air box wasn't an option, but I am 100% tracking the heat soak issue. I have yet to data log to check my IAT, but I am sure this cheapo intake doesn't seal to the hood like a Rotofab. I had a K&N on my Gen 5 and it helped, granted in FL when it's 90+ half of the year and with engine temp added even ambient isn't ideal for power.

If I can, I would like to find an AWD dyno so I can get a good baseline. maybe a junkyard will have a decent OEM airbox I could clean up to compare with. The only "true" CAI I've had was on my G37, which had dual throttle bodies and the intake ran the filters in front of the radiator right behind the grille. It was nice, until you get stuck behind a semi in the rain lol

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, we’re almost there! After swapping in the new gauge cluster it just made the rest of the interior look clapped out. I once again did a TYF deep dive to devise a plan to start restoring the interior.

I decided that I wanted to go with a black/tan two tone theme and retain the Denali wood trim. I personally think the dark wood in the Denali was the best accent GM offered in this platform. I started with a black overlay from Dashskin and some black (grayish) AC vents from a Yukon my dad had. I didn’t think it looked right with the glovebox and lower driver’s side dash panel tan so I decided to black it all out just on the dash, I haven’t touched the doors yet. I used vinyl and fabric paint from my local parts house. It came out pretty good honestly, I was a bit skeptical about the “oh shit” bar since it’s leather.

After that I pulled the dash bezel and center console out and the wife and I split the load sanding the gooey gray finish off, being careful not to scratch the wood pattern borders by taping them off. The color we (she) chose was GM Iridium and we used Duplicolor factory match. It’s darker than the OEM coating plus it’s metallic like the exterior. I think it compliments the wood well.

IMG_2135.jpeg

^ in this pic, I had attempted to paint the glovebox color is what was supposed to match the 922 RPO code, as you can see, that was FALSE! lol

IMG_2694.jpeg

IMG_2698.jpeg

IMG_2706.jpeg

IMG_2769.jpeg

Next target is the steering wheel. And thanks to a couple of members here, I know exactly what I am looking for. I already have new buttons, I’m just waiting for the wheel I want to pop up where the seller doesn’t think it’s made of GOLD.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shortly after, my headlights and tail lights arrived. I had attempted to polish up the OEMs but they didn’t last even with wet sanding and buffing them into oblivion. I did make the mistake of not ordering projector style headlights so that’s a zonk on me for downgrading. Still, after getting them aimed correctly with the LEDs it’s an upgrade from the factory output. I hit up the forum again to deal with the hyperflash and installed an LM487 (i believe) and it worked like a charm, lost cruise control though and I’m still looking into that.

I also took my rubber wheel and deleted the gold eyesore pinstripe from the sides and debadged everything else, blacked out the grille emblem w vinyl wrap, and took it to get an alignment after the new suspension parts.

I had a turn signal light and both DRLs out, thankfully my dad keeps several GMT800s at his shop to scavenge parts from, so I harvested what I needed from a Tahoe and Yukon he had sitting in his grave yard. Also scored a couple replacement AC vents, courtesy light housings, and (surprisingly) 2 new A Pillars with Bose tweeters installed. I had not even realized that mine didn’t have tweeters (they had apparently been removed but the harness was still there). I also had my local tint guy strip and retint the front windows to match the factory rears since the driver’s side was peeling.

View attachment 412653

View attachment 412654

View attachment 412655

View attachment 412656

View attachment 412657

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t read the whole thread in detail so you may have already resolved LED cruise control issue.

LED brake lights will absolutely disable cruise control. I found that a single incandescent bulb in the center top (third) brake lamp or the Left/Right enclosures; and LED bulbs in other locations, is enough resistance to restore normal cruise control.

I’m running LED in center top and 2X Incandescent bulbs in both the Left and Right.

I’d like to learn about your steering wheel, so I can get radio control on the steering wheel for my 2001 with a Sony head unit.

Nice rig! Good get! Your buddy in the ATL probably got offered $1500 on trade so you both made out. You in Gainesville by any chance?

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t read the whole thread in detail so you may have already resolved LED cruise control issue.

LED brake lights will absolutely disable cruise control. I found that a single incandescent bulb in the center top (third) brake lamp or the Left/Right enclosures; and LED bulbs in other locations, is enough resistance to restore normal cruise control.

I’m running LED in center top and 2X Incandescent bulbs in both the Left and Right.

I’d like to learn about your steering wheel, so I can get radio control on the steering wheel for my 2001 with a Sony head unit.

Nice rig! Good get! Your buddy in the ATL probably got offered $1500 on trade so you both made out. You in Gainesville by any chance?

Thank you! I have yet to resolve the issue and I’m still in the research stage since there doesn’t seem to be a consistent answer to it. I’ve read what you mentioned about using 2 halogens. I’ve read mixed results with resistors where some work and some don’t. I even read a thread on here where someone mentioned a 7 to 4 pin trailer adapter with an LED light on it drew enough resistance to fix it. So I’m holding off for now.

I’ve actually made 2 trips to central FL (6.5hrs) since I installed the LEDs without cruise and it wasn’t that bad. I-75 is like a scene from a Mad Max movie so there isn’t many places to use cruise anyway.

I am actually in the Panhandle but I try to go to Gainesville for a Gators game at least once a season, haven’t made it this year though.

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than a few minor things like the bully bar, painted calipers, etc. this is pretty much where I am at today. I finally found the wheel I wanted for a good price so I got that ordered and was able to get a black steering column cover off of a Tahoe at my dads. Spent the weekend drinking moonshine and tinkering with my brother’s 5.3 build for his Nova and some other projects around the shop. The pewter is growing on me, and my wife likes it (more importantly) so now I think I’m just going to repaint it the same color.

IMG_2772.jpeg

IMG_2773.jpeg

IMG_2774.jpeg

IMG_2775.jpeg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That sounds like fun. Our 06 YXL Denali is really missed. In its day it was like a cross between a Limo & a Hummer.

OP
OP
tooleyondeck

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my steering wheel in yesterday. It’s from an Envoy Denali and while it’s not in perfect shape, it’s pretty clean overall, and a vast improvement aesthetically over the factory Denali wheel. Plus the price was right (these things can get $$$ if you’ve looked at them) Hopefully I can find some time to install it this week!

IMG_2779.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarhead1017