Missing tire pressure decal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for posting a pic of the tag for a 2012 model XL Denali. Would still like to see numbers from a 2004 model. I realize they may be the same. But, they may not, as the 2012 has 20 inch wheels, where my original factory wheels are 17s. I could look at the sticker on my son's 2007 two wheel drive model, but it has 19 inch wheels. I am not disputing that it MAY be the same specs for every 1500 Suburban/Yukon XL from 90 to 2024. I just don't know.

You and I will just have to disagree on whether it is best practice to air tires up to the max allowed (as stated on the sidewall). I have worked on cars since I got my first one in 1968. I worked as the brake and front end mechanic at a GM dealer in the 70s and owned my own auto repair store until 1990. I have never seen a manufacturer recommend a tire pressure that matched the most allowable per the sidewall. Believe it or not, it is possible for reasonable people to disagree. You don't have to like me or like my question. In my neighborhood, I am pretty darn certain I can tell the difference blind folded between 32 and 44 psi. In my neighborhood (my house was built in 1902) we still have some brick streets. Probably could not tell on a good stretch of smooth highway. It would also be my opinion that the tires would tend to wear a little unevenly at 44 cold. The center of the treads would likely wear out sooner.

Yes, the sticker says to see the owner's manual for additional info. I really thought the owner's manual would have the recommended numbers in there. All it said was to fill according to the sticker. Back to square one.

In the meantime, I am running 35 front and rear. No complaints. I am not losing sleep over this. Would just like to know what GM recommends.
I don't recall anyone saying to air the tires up to max as designated on the tire sidewall. That pressure is max air pressure for max load purposes. I always look at the sidewall for the max pressure and the sidewall ratings. I have load range E on my Tahoe because I like a stiffer sidewall. If it said 50 psi at max load I would then air up to around 42 psi to 45 psi because, as you said, to rum at max pressure all the time would likely case the center of the tread to wear quicker. If I had a load range E and it said 50 psi for max load, I would never run them at 32-35 psi. Then you would likely wear the tread at the outer edges. The tire pressure at the sidewall, is a recommendation and not an absolute.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting a pic of the tag for a 2012 model XL Denali. Would still like to see numbers from a 2004 model. I realize they may be the same. But, they may not, as the 2012 has 20 inch wheels, where my original factory wheels are 17s. I could look at the sticker on my son's 2007 two wheel drive model, but it has 19 inch wheels. I am not disputing that it MAY be the same specs for every 1500 Suburban/Yukon XL from 90 to 2024. I just don't know.

You and I will just have to disagree on whether it is best practice to air tires up to the max allowed (as stated on the sidewall). I have worked on cars since I got my first one in 1968. I worked as the brake and front end mechanic at a GM dealer in the 70s and owned my own auto repair store until 1990. I have never seen a manufacturer recommend a tire pressure that matched the most allowable per the sidewall. Believe it or not, it is possible for reasonable people to disagree. You don't have to like me or like my question. In my neighborhood, I am pretty darn certain I can tell the difference blind folded between 32 and 44 psi. In my neighborhood (my house was built in 1902) we still have some brick streets. Probably could not tell on a good stretch of smooth highway. It would also be my opinion that the tires would tend to wear a little unevenly at 44 cold. The center of the treads would likely wear out sooner.

Yes, the sticker says to see the owner's manual for additional info. I really thought the owner's manual would have the recommended numbers in there. All it said was to fill according to the sticker. Back to square one.

In the meantime, I am running 35 front and rear. No complaints. I am not losing sleep over this. Would just like to know what GM recommends.
the spare on mine is a 17 it shows the psi cold....... that's why i posted it

15burban

Reaction score
I have never seen a manufacturer recommend a tire pressure that matched the most allowable per the sidewall.

My 16 Ram 2500 door sticker says 80 psi for the rear tires. That is the max for e rated tires that came on it from the factory. I will tell you if you run 80 psi unloaded/not towing you will feel every little pebble you run over and more then likely wear the middle of the tire a lot more then the outsides. I run 50 psi on the tires (cooper) I have on it now since they aren't the original tires (door sticker only applies to the original tires it came with brand new). According to coopers weight rating per psi chart at 50psi in both tires I can carry the same weight as the rear axle is rated for. If you have time and really want to get your psi set right you can do the chalk test.

Pretty sure the sticker on our 15 suburban with 18s says 35 psi.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone saying to air the tires up to max as designated on the tire sidewall. That pressure is max air pressure for max load purposes. I always look at the sidewall for the max pressure and the sidewall ratings. I have load range E on my Tahoe because I like a stiffer sidewall. If it said 50 psi at max load I would then air up to around 42 psi to 45 psi because, as you said, to rum at max pressure all the time would likely case the center of the tread to wear quicker. If I had a load range E and it said 50 psi for max load, I would never run them at 32-35 psi. Then you would likely wear the tread at the outer edges. The tire pressure at the sidewall, is a recommendation and not an absolute.
now why....... would a tire manufacture say max 44 and have that psi make the tire wear incorrectly? that would make more sense if you inflated it to "more than max" say 48 or something...
regardless I could fill mine to max and next month, guess what? there not a max anymore....
your going to run into worse problems running them underinflated, that's why there is TPMS

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
now why....... would a tire manufacture say max 44 and have that psi make the tire wear incorrectly? that would make more sense if you inflated it to "more than max" say 48 or something...
regardless I could fill mine to max and next month, guess what? there not a max anymore....
your going to run into worse problems running them underinflated, that's why there is TPMS
Max tire pressure for max load. If you run around at max pressure with no load, it will wear the center tread quicker.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

it is absolutely nothing personal and nothing to do with liking or not liking.. and yes we can disagree, agree, it makes no difference, everyone is going to have a different opinion.
I drive my vehicle pretty "sprited" I am more likely to feel a under inflation, causing sway. sometimes if the psi is different enough I can see a tire "bulging" a little more than others.
I usually fill mine to 42 psi, and right now I can bet they are not even close that anymore probably all around low 30's
my tires wear perfectly normal, I have the tool I check them from time to time to see if they need rotating
it's really not that big of a deal, but ya if you are pulling out a trailer to tow by all means check all your tires before leaving, same if taking a road trip or whatever.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max tire pressure for max load. If you run around at max pressure with no load, it will wear the center tread quicker.
perhaps...
but the air does slowly leak out, sometimes all of it and sometimes until reaches a happy place. like a tire on a car that sat undriven for 10 years

OP
OP
L

lynnbilodeau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not trying to start a pissing match. But, because you asked: "now why....... would a tire manufacture say max 44 and have that psi make the tire wear incorrectly?"

One reason is this; when techs are trained on mounting tires, they used to be told (don't know about current practices, as I have been out of that business for many years) to initially inflate the tire to 40 psi or more, just to make sure the bead fully seats. Then they were to let air out until it was down to the recommended pressure. The instructions were clear to "never exceed" the max pressure listed on the sidewall.

I hurt my back pretty bad in 1977. While I was at the hospital, they were treating a fellow who had TWO broken arms. He had just mounted a tire on an old Coats machine, and while it was inflating, he had both arms resting on the tire. He wasn't paying attention and over inflated the tire to the point that it blew up, breaking both arms. So, yes, there can be another reason to list max pressure other than recommending you drive around at that pressure. As I stated earlier, I have never seen a manufacturer recommend the same as max for driving.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TIRE'S max inflation pressure says far more about the tire (structurally), than it does about the vehicle.

The VEHICLE's recommended inflation pressure says far more about the automaker's impression of how they imagine the target buyer demographic.
Think back to when Ford was recommending 26-28psi for their Explorer's, which - coupled with America's embarrassingly schidty driver education - led to tens of thousands of rollovers.

My point goes something like this:
Recommended tire pressure for '94-'96 Chevy Caprice civilian sedan (S-rated 235/70R15): 30psi
Recommended tire pressure for '94-'96 Chevy Caprice 9C1 sedan (H- or V-rated 235/70R15): 35psi

Bet the recommended civilian Tahoe tire pressure is lower than for PPV and/or SSV Tahoes.
Ultimately, they are recommendations ...

But I take the recommendations for PPV / SSV far more seriously, if only because car makers do also.

Start at 35psi. That's my recommendation, even if my name turns out to be Cassander.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start a pissing match. But, because you asked: "now why....... would a tire manufacture say max 44 and have that psi make the tire wear incorrectly?"

One reason is this; when techs are trained on mounting tires, they used to be told (don't know about current practices, as I have been out of that business for many years) to initially inflate the tire to 40 psi or more, just to make sure the bead fully seats. Then they were to let air out until it was down to the recommended pressure. The instructions were clear to "never exceed" the max pressure listed on the sidewall.

I hurt my back pretty bad in 1977. While I was at the hospital, they were treating a fellow who had TWO broken arms. He had just mounted a tire on an old Coats machine, and while it was inflating, he had both arms resting on the tire. He wasn't paying attention and over inflated the tire to the point that it blew up, breaking both arms. So, yes, there can be another reason to list max pressure other than recommending you drive around at that pressure. As I stated earlier, I have never seen a manufacturer recommend the same as max for driving.
that explains any tire exploding, it doesn't explain it causing uneven tire wear, like previously mentioned the chalk test comes into play here.
I would presume to think correct pressure for perfect tire wear will vary from manufacture, tire size, load rating, load on the tire, how it is driven, and even the environment it is used in.
is 35 psi going to get you 10,000 more miles versus 40 psi? doubtful, but I am sure the data is out there somewhere
is loading a extra 1000lbs on the tire going to make a difference, sure it will.
if the recomended pressure is 35 and I make it 40, will I get slightly improved mpg and slightly harsher ride, it's certainly possible
I have only seen "recomended" which means just that
and if the oem tire that came on the vehicle and is what the door label refers to had a load roating of 1700 and max psi of 44 and now you have tires with a load rating of 2205 and max psi of 51
then what? is it safe to add a little air? will runing at recomend psi cause uneven tire wear now?
you would think that now you would refer to a chart like trailer tires, because now you are out of spec based on the label on the door
and if said chart now says 37 psi instead of 35, unless you check your tires every month like clockwork it doesn't REALLY matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019