Mikeyss Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guys shop I'm using to do the work has ties to various vendors, so I won't be paying full price. Before this weekend's fiasco, the cam, headers, and all of the gaskets I was at around 3k. Looks like I'll be dishing out another 5 - 6k

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With as rare as it it, I'm planning on keeping it forever. It is also hard to find a vehicle that just...fits... If that makes sense. I always to a double take when I park it, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I look outside to make sure it's ok, haha. I love my hoe...

lol nah i get it man (obviously) any plans for future power adder? i used to love to go through the drop down menus on TSP , i would spend more on rods, stick with the stock crank or spend less on it

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
With as rare as it it, I'm planning on keeping it forever. It is also hard to find a vehicle that just...fits... If that makes sense. I always to a double take when I park it, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I look outside to make sure it's ok, haha. I love my hoe...
Many people would’t understand the “double take” but I get it. I do it too!

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hang on I'm confused about why its rare, forgive my ignorance as I'm still illiterate when it comes to NNBS.

I totally understand the keep it forever mentality. It's hard to think of something that will do more than a well built SUV.

Also I'm stoked to watch to build up.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang on I'm confused about why its rare, forgive my ignorance as I'm still illiterate when it comes to NNBS.

I totally understand the keep it forever mentality. It's hard to think of something that will do more than a well built SUV.

Also I'm stoked to watch to build up.

Late 2008, and all of 2009 Tahoe LTZ had the option of having a 6.2 instead of the 5.3. There were around 700 made this way, and I was lucky to find one.

OP
OP
mikeyss

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block, rotating assy, and some odds and ends are on the way. Had a setback this past weekend, my other half had a co worker test positive for covid, so we are doing our part and got the test and have isolated until we know results.

I have a new question though..

Now that I have to remove the block, the torque converter will be exposed... I am thinking of spending $600 on a summit 2400 RPM converter that supports up to 600 hp. Should I get it, or stick with the stock stall. I know the cam I picked will be ok with stock stall, but I'm sure it'll be better with a better stall. This is what I'm considering.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700345

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block, rotating assy, and some odds and ends are on the way. Had a setback this past weekend, my other half had a co worker test positive for covid, so we are doing our part and got the test and have isolated until we know results.

I have a new question though..

Now that I have to remove the block, the torque converter will be exposed... I am thinking of spending $600 on a summit 2400 RPM converter that supports up to 600 hp. Should I get it, or stick with the stock stall. I know the cam I picked will be ok with stock stall, but I'm sure it'll be better with a better stall. This is what I'm considering.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700345

A looser stall (within reason) boosts the performance of even a stock engine. My mild-cammed 5.3 has a 2800 and I couldn't imagine it without it now. It acts almost like stock during normal driving. As far as that particular converter from Summit, I couldn't say. There are a lot of factors in determining a cam. You, having a 6-speed with better first and second gears than my lowly 4-speed and with your proposed setup having way more power, it may not be as beneficial. Gonna have to check with the pros. I'd give CircleD a call and have all your specs on hand (engine, cam, vehicle weight, rear gear, etc.). Check with your cam manufacturer to see what stall they'd recommend and compare notes.

Horrible idea...

Not sure if serious...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17