Maybe overthinking but I feel like my suburban runs too hot...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
Backstory: I had a 2004 suburban with the 5.3. The temp Guage always hung at 210 no matter if it was hot outside, I was towing, whatever. My 2015 suburban seems to run really hot. For the most part it stays at 210 unless iget the RPMs up around 3k then it climbs to about 220-235 before cooling back to 210. If I'm towing up hill in the mountains or really trying to give it power while towing it goes as high as 250 (the little line right before the red 260.) It doesn't get all the way to the red and cools itself back to 210. Is this normal with this model year? I've replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, water pump pulley (it was making noise). I have also burped the cooling system as much as I can (no more bubbles come out). It always goes back to the normal 210. I just don't want to cause any damage by it running so hot.

If this isn't normal do you have any suggestions on what to check?

OP
OP
C

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
Use a scan tool and see what temp the ECM is reading , gauges in these trucks can be way off. One other thing, you could have a bad water pump. But I would go the scan tool route first.
Is there a way to tell if the water pump is bad other than switching it out?

OP
OP
C

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
A scan tool is the best way to make sure your gauge is good, if good then water pump, thermostat or clogged coolant system would be the logical next choice. You've already changed the thermostat so I would be looking at a pump.
Alright, I had a little time today so I hooked up my Bluetooth obd adapter and drove around for an hour. Pulled up the coolant temp in torque. After it warms up it runs most of the time at between 215 and 220 degrees. I got up to 237 twice. Each time I was accelerating to get on the highway. Both times I hit that temp it cooled right down to about 217 within about 10 seconds. I wasnt towing anything today but I know it gets much hotter while towing. The Guage seems decently accurate. Is it normal for it to climb that high while getting on the highway or climbing hills?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz