Maybe overthinking but I feel like my suburban runs too hot...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
How long have you owned the 2015? How long has it been heating up like this? Do you know if the radiator is original or has it been replaced?
Had it for about 6 months. I've put about 10k miles on it. It just recently (within the last 1.5 months) started heating up. I changed the thermostat because it would never heat up past about 1/4 of the guage. Happened after I changed my thermostat and water pump pulley (it was chattering). It was winter for four months of that though. I pulled with it a few times over the winter and it seemed fine, but it was also cold outside. I don't know on the radiator. I would assume it's original. I didn't think about the over heating too much because it didn't go past 3/4 until the last couple times I towed something

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If was me and I could not get a temp readout with a laser temp gun across the radiator surface, find a shop that can do a flow test on the radiator. Are there any shops that do that any more? Maybe. But sure sounds like a flow problem some place.

On my 2005, no matter how hard I pull, it never gets over 210. I have had a scanned attached and monitored, the gauge is correct.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I had a little time today so I hooked up my Bluetooth obd adapter and drove around for an hour. Pulled up the coolant temp in torque. After it warms up it runs most of the time at between 215 and 220 degrees. I got up to 237 twice. Each time I was accelerating to get on the highway. Both times I hit that temp it cooled right down to about 217 within about 10 seconds. I wasnt towing anything today but I know it gets much hotter while towing. The Guage seems decently accurate. Is it normal for it to climb that high while getting on the highway or climbing hills?
The standard thermostat for your vehicle is 207 so your temp is not out of line.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still not sure if you have a pair of electrical fans, or a big ol' mech fan.
If you've a pair of electrical fans, GM probably programmed them to come on kinda late to coax another 1 or 2MpG out of your truck.

If you've a big ol' mech fan, then continue getting some more advice.
I got a mech fan (hopefully not for too much longer) that absolutely will not allow temps over 215F, unless it's over 100F stuck in rush hour traffic behind a bus with my AC on full blast.

OP
OP
C

Cryptothedog

Reaction score
So I took it to a mechanic and they told me that "they hooked it up to there machine and it had a hydrocarbon level in the 80's which tells them that it has a cracked head gasket or cylinder head" does that sound right? Or should I get a second opinion? I don't have antifreeze in my oil and am not puffing out white smoke.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you got hydro carbons in the coolant you got combustion gasses in there. Minimum head gasket and maximum cracked head. Either way, needs heads pulled. IMO. Second shop opinion cant hurt but the quick check is an exhaust cas analyzer smelling at rad cap area.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you are keeping this vehicle make sure quality work is done. Ask around for good shops and check reviews. Also, look for ASE certifications. If you want cheap, you might as well just drive it. If you want correct, do the search and talk to them. I have always recommended a vehicle owner find a shop they trust. If has cracked heads, you can get a set of reconditioned heads. Make sure you get good gasket sets. Lots of members will chime in. What part of country are you in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia