Lowering Denali omitting auto-ride and lowering all at once.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jplong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowering Denali omitting auto-ride and replacing shocks all at once.

When I got my Denali I knew the shocks were blown and that was probably the reason the original owner was selling. (stock parts =$$$$) I don't like the way it sits too high and uneven. So I decided to drop the auto-ride and go to a traditional shock/strut. I just bought the 07 Up Non Auto-ride Belltech 1-2/3-4 Kit With Shocks, along with the bumpstops and links. When I get the parts ill try my damnedest to cover everything on the install from the Resistors (to curb the auto-ride check light) to the springs.

With that I talked with Tony via email on this. I do Tow from time to time. Its actually why I got this truck over the Ridgeline. He suggested Helper Bags to support any added tongue weight once its been lowered. I would like to not make that a manual process. I would like to use the stock air compressor, and leveling sensors to "feed" extra airbags to level the rear. Granted I know the Autoride sensors will stay in place and the links (all 4 corners) will need to be shortened. But, I dont see why this wont work.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Blazed

Accepting Donations
Reaction score
Stock compressor puts out too much pressure for helper bags.

OP
OP
jplong

jplong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock compressor puts out too much pressure for helper bags.
If the bag is deflated and the stock compressor kicks on due to a Low ride condition in the rear end, it should inflate the helpers to make a difference. At the point it levels out the stock ride sensors should shut off the compressor before the max pressure of the helpers are attained.

Worst case scenario is put in a relief valve at the helper bags max pressure.

just my thought

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
it will supply more than 35 psi air at full inflation which will blow out the bags just a heads up

OP
OP
jplong

jplong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the the stock pump rated to 35+ will blow out bags (rated less than 35psi)

keep in mind the numbers I'm using here are all theoretical and not real.
However with a regulator or relief valve in line the system can be made to only let the bags "see" whatever they are designed to hold up to. So if they are rated to 25 psi....then put in a relief to pop if it goes past 23 psi.

However, even with a regulator/relief the bags would never see the 35psi that the stock pump can do anyway. For example, If the helper bag only needs 10 psi to bring the truck to level and its currently at 7 psi. Then the stock pump will kick on and inflate the bags to 10psi, till the truck is level. The bags will never "see" beyond 10psi. There are 2 caveats to this is though. One, all 4 wheel height sensors must be right and adjusted properly and Two, a relief valve would still be used in the case where the load in the rear is too great for the helper bag and over inflation becomes a possibility.

This is just my idea not saying anyone is wrong here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable