Problem with lowering springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikev04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s up everyone this is my first post, happy to be here. I just installed an eBay no name 2/3 lowering kit on my 04 Tahoe. Drop spindles in the front and shorter springs in the rear with shock extenders. The front install is all good. My problem is the rear springs seem too short. When the rear end droops, they’re loose as a goose ready to fall out of their pockets. Shock extenders are installed with stock style Bilstein 4600s. Truck sits exactly how I want it and handles good (still needs an alignment). I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this. I’d imagine it would take a crazy scenario for the rear end to travel that much in normal driving conditions, but it sketches me out that it’s even possible. Any input would be appreciated.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up everyone this is my first post, happy to be here. I just installed an eBay no name 2/3 lowering kit on my 04 Tahoe. Drop spindles in the front and shorter springs in the rear with shock extenders. The front install is all good. My problem is the rear springs seem too short. When the rear end droops, they’re loose as a goose ready to fall out of their pockets. Shock extenders are installed with stock style Bilstein 4600s. Truck sits exactly how I want it and handles good (still needs an alignment). I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this. I’d imagine it would take a crazy scenario for the rear end to travel that much in normal driving conditions, but it sketches me out that it’s even possible. Any input would be appreciated.

Welcome to TYF!

It's probably the coils. Better coils are designed to be longer, but still provide the same drop, or thereabouts. It may never be a problem, but you don't wanna find out the hard way. You might need to get drop shocks. They're shorter so they'll max out sooner, hopefully before the rear is totally unloaded. Have you gotten shorter sway bar end links? If the coils are just barely to that point of falling out, shorter end links would limit the rear's droop a little. You might need to get the offset links, anyway. Until then, no ramping. Then there are limiting straps like trophy trucks have...

OP
OP
mikev04

mikev04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF!

It's probably the coils. Better coils are designed to be longer, but still provide the same drop, or thereabouts. It may never be a problem, but you don't wanna find out the hard way. You might need to get drop shocks. They're shorter so they'll max out sooner, hopefully before the rear is totally unloaded. Have you gotten shorter sway bar end links? If the coils are just barely to that point of falling out, shorter end links would limit the rear's droop a little. You might need to get the offset links, anyway. Until then, no ramping. Then there are limiting straps like trophy trucks have...
Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen the eibach springs and a few other brands. They all look way longer with the elongated pigtails that are designed to compress to the drop height but not fall out when the rear drops. I’m running stock end links. I suppose aftermarket links aren’t a bad place to start. Especially since you’re saying I probably need them anyway. I’d like to keep the bilsteins because they weren’t cheap and they match the fronts. So maybe I’ll buy another pair of springs with a better design. I don’t want to kill anyone over a couple hundred bucks.

Edit: do you have any sway bar links or spring recommendations?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen the eibach springs and a few other brands. They all look way longer with the elongated pigtails that are designed to compress to the drop height but not fall out when the rear drops. I’m running stock end links. I suppose aftermarket links aren’t a bad place to start. Especially since you’re saying I probably need them anyway. I’d like to keep the bilsteins because they weren’t cheap and they match the fronts. So maybe I’ll buy another pair of springs with a better design. I don’t want to kill anyone over a couple hundred bucks.

Edit: do you have any sway bar links or spring recommendations?

For maximum effectiveness, the sway bar should be parallel to the frame (or ground- close enough) with the vehicle resting at ride height. Lowering it puts it at an angle, reducing its leverage. Sure, it's likely nothing you'd ever feel. But, in your case, it might benefit you more than to just restore the proper geometry. Also, I was alluding to the offset links offered by DJM or these. A 3" drop is kinda on the cusp of where you start to have interference problems. At 3" or more than 3", the RH "arm" of the sway bar hits the bolt on the shock mount. The offset links are shorter to correct for the drop but also shift the sway bar to the right for clearance.

Since you have good shocks and they're beneficial otherwise, I'd try the links first. They wouldn't be a waste even if they didn't completely solve your issue.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the $150 ebay 3" rear drop kit. Mine would wiggle around a bit at full drop. I ordered new top and bottom isolators and that snugged them up good enough for me.

OP
OP
mikev04

mikev04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for your responses. Turns out the Bilstein shocks I ordered (PN 24-143806) are 24 inches long full extended. With the shock extenders, this allowed roughly 22 inches of length when fully extended. I needed about 20 for the springs to stay in their pockets. I ordered Belltech rear shocks (PN 2410FF) and their extended length is advertised at 19.5 inches. I ran these without the extenders and all is good in world. Had I ordered stock length shocks (I think they’re about 22 inches fully extended), I could have used the extenders and had no problem. You live and you learn, I hope somebody can get something from my mistakes.

Edit: Forgot to mention I’m definitely going to invest in some shorter sway bar links. iamdub schooled me right, the rear bar is sitting at a funky angle.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a few pictures of the truck. Going to get this thing aligned tomorrow and tear up some pavement. View attachment 409403View attachment 409404

I've been MIA for a few days. Is it lower in the back? You have to put some miles on it to let the new springs settle. If it's squatting, you can adjust the front for free by turning the torsion bar adjusters. This is where measuring each corner comes in handy. GM vehicles are often lower on the driver side. Having the type of suspension yours has, you have the ability to easily fine-tune it side-to-side. If you're satisfied with the way it sits and have already gotten the alignment, disregard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar