Towed in auto - problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seatown

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 08 Yukon, a family member towed a trailer with 4 wheel set to auto.

Before this tow driving around town while the drivetrain was in auto, there were no issues, no noises, everything was great.

Now when I try to drive around with the Drivetrain in auto I get grinding type noises and it feels like it is in four low at all times.

A mechanic said my front differential transfer case and transmission look fine. He said driving in auto, It felt normal to him. But from my observation there’s definitely something different than before the tow. What else could I be looking at? Or should I have someone else look at it?
Thanks

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 08 Yukon, a family member towed a trailer with 4 wheel set to auto.

Before this tow driving around town while the drivetrain was in auto. There was no issues no noises everything was great.

Now when I try to drive around with the Drivetrain in auto I get grinding type noises and it feels like it is in four low at all times.

A mechanic said my front differential transfer case and transmission look fine. He said driving in auto, It felt normal to him. But from my observation there’s definitely something different than before the tow. What else could I be looking at? Or should I have someone else look at it?
Thanks
doubtful that using auto caused any problem, you might want to look at the front hubs and see if that is the source of the noise, typical life of a hub is about 160k after that they tend to go at anytime afterwards

OP
OP
S

seatown

Reaction score
doubtful that using auto caused any problem, you might want to look at the front hubs and see if that is the source of the noise, typical life of a hub is about 160k after that they tend to go at anytime afterwards
Is a bad wheel hub going to be pronounced when four-wheel-drive is activated? When in 2h no issues

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it bad wheel hub going to be pronounced when four-wheel-drive is activated?
maybe more than normal if power is being applied yes.
you can jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground and spin the wheels and listen for noise and also grab the wheel at 12 & 6 and see if it has any play in it. there should be none. 9 & 3 will have a little play due to the steering but shouldn't be excessive

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seatown

Reaction score
maybe more than normal if power is being applied yes.
you can jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground and spin the wheels and listen for noise and also grab the wheel at 12 & 6 and see if it has any play in it. there should be none. 9 & 3 will have a little play due to the steering but shouldn't be excessive
Last summer replaced left, because it was grinding bad.
Don’t know if right has ever been replaced (have 200k). Definitely no symptoms like the left had before replacement.
Just wiggled both, they both seem tight. But was just a quick check.
Might take it in for a better check….

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you checked fluid levels and condition? Transfer case and Transmission. Since you are typically the daily driver, I would assume you know when something is not right.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will always hear drivetrain noise in 4wd or AUTO 4WD. There are more things tuning under power. It will be especially noticeable on dry pavement. Also, if you have excessively different tire wear front to back, or a set of unmatched tires will cause more noise because the drivetrain will bind on itself from diffent rolling diameters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar