lower oil pressure with high ambient temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

2002 yukon 4wd, 175k miles. Use 5w-30 valvoline high mileage oil, just changed oil 500 miles ago (change about every 3k miles) with wix filter. Oil level check good.

Last week with our heat wave in the desert Southwest (about 117 degrees) I noticed when driving on the freeway that my oil pressure at freeway speeds (70 mph ish) that oil pressure is about 50. Usually, it hovers around 60 at freeway, and 40 at idle. I know oil thins with temp, but I've not seen this before (I don't remember driving in that oppressive heat with this vehicle before or paid attention either though). After stopping at my destination for a few hours then driving home at night, pressure Stayed just shy of 60 psi (this is stock oil pressure meter on truck). The idle pressure remained the same at 40 throughout.

Using Torque app, my coolant temp was a steady 203, tranny temp about 188. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon and if it's something I need to worry about. Thought about changing to 10W-40, but i just changed the oil. In theory, 5w-30 should still be acceptable?

Thanks!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched oil from 5W-30 to 10W-30 high mileage and saw a drastic reduction in oil consumption.
That is standard practice when dealing with an engine that is showing its wear. Go up from 5w to 10w and even on Gen1 engines ive ran 20w-50 oil on an engine that is near the end of life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired_One