Low oil pressure??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
My oil pressure is jumping all over the place, at least according to the gauge. I just had the sensor replaced a couple of months ago. Then it was pegged at 80 and never changed.

Anyway, I have no idea if the oil pressure is really changing that much, that fast, and that often. According to the gauge it's going from zero to 80 and everything in between all the time. Checked oil level, looks OK. Oil looked pretty clean, no apparent leaks.

So, should I totally freak out and ground the truck until it's fixed? I don't even know what controls the oil pressure. Is there an oil pump somewhere? What could the issue be?

Thanks as usual!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck again Scott? If 03 and +, then I'd be looking at a stepper motor going bad in your instrument panel cluster especially if your sending unit was just recently replaced!!

sparks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my eski with the 6.0 started doing something similar some at around 275k mi, but everything checked out fine. it was jumping between 40-60. does yours do it under accelleration, or just at idle? if its just at idle i would say the pump is probably getting weak, or theres a bunch of sludge built up in the pan, or a combination of both. im not a mechanic though, i just stayed at a holiday inn express last night...

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Mechanic hooked up the computer and monitored it for a while, revving engine and whatnot. Pressure is fine. Time for a new instrument cluster, which frankly I've been hoping would come up as a need and not as a want. Now I can get a cool LED one and be able to justify it. :D

This will quite possibly lead to a "where can I get a cool cluster" thread......

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard a few guys on here send theirs out to a few Ebay guys to get theirs rebuild with new stepper motors, thought it was pretty reasonable from what I remember!! Scottyboy might be a guy to talk to, at least for the LED conversion!!

kim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can get leds from superbright led.com thats where i got them from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo