1998 Yukon, lost oil pressure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! Man, I’ve worked so ******* this truck. It had a 1500 mile road trip, 900 miles in, saw a check gauges light. Thought “Huh. That’s a new one” looked down, saw oil pressure drop to Zero. Went to tick tick, to KNOCK KNOCK.

Totally F’d. Pulled over as fast as I could, and I’m 609 miles away from home. It was out of oil! It lost 4 quarts of oil in 900 miles. Can’t even find out where it went. To my surprise, when oil was put in and started (needs a new engine at this point so I don’t care how it performs) It actually didn’t sound too bad. It probably didn’t have oil pressure for a total of 30 seconds.

So! Any tips on getting this bi*** 600 miles? Thanks!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that's a really tough situation. I'm sorry. Did you figure out where the oil leaked from?

Best case scenario is you get it towed back home since you mentioned knocking. I imagine that's going to be very expensive.

If it still runs, "maybe" you can risk driving it like that back home. It really depends how bad the knocking is and will cause further damage to the crankshaft. And you risk causing more, catastrophic damage like a spun/seized bearing, rod failure and blowing a hole on the block, (or combination of all those things) leaving you stranded.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that's a really tough situation. I'm sorry. Did you figure out where the oil leaked from?

Best case scenario is you get it towed back home since you mentioned knocking. I imagine that's going to be very expensive.

If it still runs, "maybe" you can risk driving it like that back home. It really depends how bad the knocking is and will cause further damage to the crankshaft. And you risk causing more, catastrophic damage like a spun/seized bearing, rod failure and blowing a hole on the block, (or combination of all those things) leaving you stranded.
Little update for you and the fine gentleman that recommended the Lucas.

So far, I’ve made it 400 miles. We dumped about a quart and a half of the stuff into the 4 quarts of oil.

As for the leak, can’t tell. Looks like it’s coming from the rear main seal! I do believe I’m making it home tonight, that stuff actually works. Obviously the engine is toast, but I think I can get it home.

Will update you guys on what happens!

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little update for you and the fine gentleman that recommended the Lucas.

So far, I’ve made it 400 miles. We dumped about a quart and a half of the stuff into the 4 quarts of oil.

As for the leak, can’t tell. Looks like it’s coming from the rear main seal! I do believe I’m making it home tonight, that stuff actually works. Obviously the engine is toast, but I think I can get it home.

Will update you guys on what happens!
Haha, I’ll be damned! It made it home! Actually still sound decent.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, I’ll be damned! It made it home! Actually still sound decent.
Little update on the Yukon. Went to go start it, no crank. Checked fuses, battery voltage, all good. The starter relay clicks so I believe the ignition switch is working. Bad starter..? Randomly? Or at least a bad ground.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try two things- Spin engine by hand a little, sometimes can wrench the alternator nut and push belt tight enough. Next tap starter with hammer wlile turning key.
Those actions will rule out numerous possibilities.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first journeyman I worked under as an apprentice about 25 years ago told me; "Nick, the greatest tool they ever invented is a hammer. It's a fine adjusting tool".

I second the motion to give the starter a few taps with a hammer. After you verify the engine isn't locked up of course.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first journeyman I worked under as an apprentice about 25 years ago told me; "Nick, the greatest tool they ever invented is a hammer. It's a fine adjusting tool".

I second the motion to give the starter a few taps with a hammer. After you verify the engine isn't locked up of course.
Late, but I couldn’t get the starter to engage at all. Now I’m wondering if it has any power at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900