Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Giovanny Avila

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m having problems with my 2009 Yukon. I have Low oil pressure but I have no Knock in the engine. I don’t have a Check engine light either can somebody help please!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum.

Second: Stick to the basics first. You say "low oil pressure". How about sharing why you are saying that. What pressure are you saying it reads at? What engine is in the rig?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m having problems with my 2009 Yukon. I have Low oil pressure but I have no Knock in the engine. I don’t have a Check engine light either can somebody help please!
First off, welcome to the forum.

Are you getting a message on the dash or just seeing the gauge showing low pressure. If the gauge, what is it reading?

A couple things could be going on.
1) you’re low on oil. Check the oil level in your engine.
2) the screen inline with your oil pressure gauge is plugged and needs cleaned.
3) the oring on your pickup tube from your pan to oil pump is failing.
4)oil pump is going out.
5) Not good

Items listed in order of difficulty to address.

How many miles? How often is oil
changed? How long since last oil change? How long has this been happening?

Last edited:

tjoyce81

Reaction score
The most likely cause of a low oil pressure issue in a 5.3 is a blocked oil pressure unit screen or an oil pump o-ring failure. HOWEVER - there is an often overlooked and very common issue that puts many of these engines in the junkyard FOR NO REASON. It is a weak or failing oil pressure relief valve inside of the oil pan. If ALL of the above does not fix the oil pressure issue - it IS the relief valve inside of the oil pan. The spring wears out in these valves, which causes oil to simply dump into the pan - and not feed the upper part of the lifter feed circuit. The oil pressure sending unit is located in this circuit - which is the reason you get a low oil pressure indication - when in fact oil pressure is good. The fix is to either replace this valve, or to simply install a plug so the oil does not dump into the pan.... When you block this off - oil pressure will be better than before....

Also, you will eventually get a check engine light - and it will suddenly say to "stop the engine".... This is a tell tale sign of a failing oil pressure relief valve spring failure...
To fix this the oil pan must be removed...

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most likely cause of a low oil pressure issue in a 5.3 is a blocked oil pressure unit screen or an oil pump o-ring failure. HOWEVER - there is an often overlooked and very common issue that puts many of these engines in the junkyard FOR NO REASON. It is a weak or failing oil pressure relief valve inside of the oil pan. If ALL of the above does not fix the oil pressure issue - it IS the relief valve inside of the oil pan. The spring wears out in these valves, which causes oil to simply dump into the pan - and not feed the upper part of the lifter feed circuit. The oil pressure sending unit is located in this circuit - which is the reason you get a low oil pressure indication - when in fact oil pressure is good. The fix is to either replace this valve, or to simply install a plug so the oil does not dump into the pan.... When you block this off - oil pressure will be better than before....

Also, you will eventually get a check engine light - and it will suddenly say to "stop the engine".... This is a tell tale sign of a failing oil pressure relief valve spring failure...
To fix this the oil pan must be removed...
Do you have a part number for what you mentioned or a picture?

tjoyce81

Reaction score
81G8N3tErBL._SX355_.jpg
part 12608835 valve

814-M14_2_lrg.jpg

valve delete - block off http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pans/ls-oil-pan-pressure-relief-valve-plug-kit-p-902.html

tuck16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife is having this issue today in her '12 yukon XL. Are there links to help me address #2 & #3?

Thanks.