Low oil pressure chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markins3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I could sure use some advice, 2004 Tahoe, had a rebuilt 3-year warranty 5.3 installed. Driving it, the Low Oil Pressure chime and the message comes up. I stop the truck restart with no noise from the engine. The gauge shows 10LB at idle, a chime goes off. Mechanic says it's the gauge. Replace stepper motor (didn't re-solder resistors though) replaced the oil sender unit myself. still has the issue.
Bought analog gauge to check engine oil pressure and new wire harness for sensor (waiting for that to come in)
Is the gauge cluster set off the chime or is the ECU picking up the pressure from the engine? Frustrated on why and how to fix it.
I know it's a band-aid but how to shut off the chime until I can check true oil pressure? Mechanic says don't worry it is under warranty....Really?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could sure use some advice, 2004 Tahoe, had a rebuilt 3-year warranty 5.3 installed. Driving it, the Low Oil Pressure chime and the message comes up. I stop the truck restart with no noise from the engine. The gauge shows 10LB at idle, a chime goes off. Mechanic says it's the gauge. Replace stepper motor (didn't re-solder resistors though) replaced the oil sender unit myself. still has the issue.
Bought analog gauge to check engine oil pressure and new wire harness for sensor (waiting for that to come in)
Is the gauge cluster set off the chime or is the ECU picking up the pressure from the engine? Frustrated on why and how to fix it.
I know it's a band-aid but how to shut off the chime until I can check true oil pressure? Mechanic says don't worry it is under warranty....Really?

Maybe unplug the oil pressure sensor? It might default to ******* out the gauge. Of course, there may be an overpressure warning, too. It'd only take a couple minutes to try, though.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a good look at the wiring. Especially, the connectors. Check for damage, loose or corroded wires or connectors. Spray the connector contacts with electrical terminal cleaner, plug the connector on and take it off a few times and spray a few more times in between to work out any oil or crud in the terminal contacts. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and find it was just a contact/voltage/ground issue!

Keep us posted.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil level sensor is on the passenger/right side of the pan. Wondering if the chime was for pressure or level? Is it full?

OP
OP
M

markins3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe unplug the oil pressure sensor? It might default to ******* out the gauge. Of course, there may be an overpressure warning, too. It'd only take a couple minutes to try, though.

OP
OP
M

markins3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the response, ill give that a try and report back.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the response, ill give that a try and report back.

LOL

I just saw that it censored "p e g g i n g".

Joe406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I always replace the oil pump. I have had 4 different 5.3 engines do this and it has always been the o-ring for me. I normally change that and the oil pump as well as the timing chain because I am already in there so why not. I see where people say they just take the front cover off but I always drop the pan and clean that and the pickup tube before putting everything back together. I use shims to center the oil pump and all of my high mileage 5.3 engines keep good oil pressure at idle.

OP
OP
M

markins3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestiome.
follow up: replaced stepper motors on gauge cluster. Replaced wires to oil sender.
started up ou gauge 55lbs great!!!
ran for 5 mins oil pressure zero chime going off and engine noise bad engine noise.
took, checked oil dipstick, grey and bits of metal.
back to mechanic said I eliminated ever except your rebuilt motor.

new motor being ordered under warrant.

suspect is rebuilt motor’s oil pick up tube or o ring wasn’t installed correctly. Would explain the oil pressure when oil levels in pan can pump, drops off once oil level in
pan goes down. Interesting thought.
more info once new engine gets installed

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestiome.
follow up: replaced stepper motors on gauge cluster. Replaced wires to oil sender.
started up ou gauge 55lbs great!!!
ran for 5 mins oil pressure zero chime going off and engine noise bad engine noise.
took, checked oil dipstick, grey and bits of metal.
back to mechanic said I eliminated ever except your rebuilt motor.

new motor being ordered under warrant.

suspect is rebuilt motor’s oil pick up tube or o ring wasn’t installed correctly. Would explain the oil pressure when oil levels in pan can pump, drops off once oil level in
pan goes down. Interesting thought.
more info once new engine gets installed

Good thing it's under warranty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505