Low/No Oil Pressure After new Oil Pump Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well if that’s the case then your particular engine was not one of the early builds and does not have the AFM components...that being said the oil pressure relief valve is only required for AFM so you should delete it, although this may not fix your problem since it should never activate without AFM, unless it’s a faulty part and stuck open (M14x1.5 plug)...let us know how it turns out...curious to hear what the issue is and how you fix it...good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if that’s the case then your particular engine was not one of the early builds and does not have the AFM components...that being said the oil pressure relief valve is only required for AFM so you should delete it, although this may not fix your problem since it should never activate without AFM, unless it’s a faulty part and stuck open (M14x1.5 plug)...let us know how it turns out...curious to hear what the issue is and how you fix it...good luck

The pan originally had an oil pressure relief valve so I replaced it (again just to avoid potential future issues), but I was just reading tonight as well that it can simply be blocked off. If I end up dropping the pan, I will simply plug it. I am really suspect of the valley cover o-rings being the source of the problem. Are you sure the non-afm valley cover has them?

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pan originally had an oil pressure relief valve so I replaced it (again just to avoid potential future issues), but I was just reading tonight as well that it can simply be blocked off. If I end up dropping the pan, I will simply plug it. I am really suspect of the valley cover o-rings being the source of the problem. Are you sure the non-afm valley cover has them?

Yes...the purpose of the O-Rings is to block off the AFM Oil Ports, stick with OE GM Parts....O-Ring Part# 12610160 (you will need 8)

OP
OP
nadthomas

nadthomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...the purpose of the O-Rings is to block off the AFM Oil Ports, stick with OE GM Parts....O-Ring Part# 12610160 (you will need 8)

THANKS!!!! I really hopeful that this is the source of my problem(it makes a lot of sense), and kind of exactly the small oversight I was hoping someone would school me on. At the very least I can spend Christmas day thinking I have a cheap and easy solution. :thumbsup:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember reading about some guys blocking those passages with threaded plugs.

Not sure if they are already threaded or if that is something they did but I do seem to remember that.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember reading about some guys blocking those passages with threaded plugs.

Not sure if they are already threaded or if that is something they did but I do seem to remember that.

Not already threaded. You have to tap the towers then screw in socket head set screws. There's even a tool and special rivets for this job cuz some people don't wanna risk getting metal shavings in the oil passages when tapping the towers.

savila5305

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
THANKS!!!! I really hopeful that this is the source of my problem(it makes a lot of sense), and kind of exactly the small oversight I was hoping someone would school me on. At the very least I can spend Christmas day thinking I have a cheap and easy solution. [emoji106]
I also had a low pressure issue on my 05 tahoe, i replaced the oil pump 2 days ago with a gm oem pump thinking the melling pump i had installed 3 years ago was bad. Come to find out when i go to turn on the tahoe i still had really low pressure, so i decided to remove the pan and found the pick up tube screen was clogged with what im suspecting is some sort of mesh/paper from the ac delco oil filter i was using.
I still have the truck on jacks since the dealership/auto parts store is closed on christmas.
Hope this helps. Good luck.20181224_153923.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I also had a low pressure issue on my 05 tahoe, i replaced the oil pump 2 days ago with a gm oem pump thinking the melling pump i had installed 3 years ago was bad. Come to find out when i go to turn on the tahoe i still had really low pressure, so i decided to remove the pan and found the pick up tube screen was clogged with what im suspecting is some sort of mesh/paper from the ac delco oil filter i was using.
I still have the truck on jacks since the dealership/auto parts store is closed on christmas.
Hope this helps. Good luck.View attachment 212875

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
WTF? Geez i sure hope that isnt from a OE authorized filter! I use the ACDELCO PF48E. Im 59 and have never seen a pickup tube screen plugged with filter media before. That is absolutely unacceptable, send the pic to GM and see if they reply? Not for compensation but for an answer as to if this is occuring with that brand of filter.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF? Geez i sure hope that isnt from a OE authorized filter! I use the ACDELCO PF48E. Im 59 and have never seen a pickup tube screen plugged with filter media before. That is absolutely unacceptable, send the pic to GM and see if they reply? Not for compensation but for an answer as to if this is occuring with that brand of filter.
There's no way. I have been cutting open oil filters for 40+ yrs and all oil filters have a metal perforated tube in their center. The folded filter media is wrapped around this tube. Oil flows from the outside, thru the media, thru the little holes in the center tube, then out of the filter and back into the engine. Now if the filter starts bypassing because the media is clogged, then all bets are off, but the media couldn't make to the pickup in large pieces. You would have big problems if something has clogged the filter media that badly.
My guess would be that someone has been in the engine before and left that debris in there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilflip

Latest posts