loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok so after replacing there was no play or anything? it's a small amount of play but it still wiggles enough. I wonder if it's causing a lot of my steering issues/loose steering.
Read the rest of that post. I did an edit to it.

DadsToy

Reaction score
I just went thru the same issue on my 2001 Tahoe. After replacing everything on the front I still had a sloppy steering. I tried adjusting the steering box and it didn't make any difference. I finally replaced the steering box to fix the problem. I think you have the same issue. Look at my build thread under the construction forum (My Tahoe Project). Good luck.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
check this out, worked for me

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Updating yall here!

Found a ton of play in the pitman and idler arms. No wonder why my steering feels the way it does!

Yes, gobs of play that when add together, adds up to a bunch. Get quality replacements and do an alignment after, get a print out of that alignment and show pics of before and after settings.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updating yall here!

Found a ton of play in the pitman and idler arms. No wonder why my steering feels the way it does!

I could've told you by just looking at the rusting of the idler arm that it was going to be bad. The GM 1/2 ton chassis just eats them up. That idler arm has been bad for years unless you just dipped your tahoe in the ocean 5 months ago.

Replace the Idler arm and pitman at the same time. Dont even think about using the elcheapo made in china parts. Youll be replacing them next year if you do. Get the AC Delco or Moog. I would be taking a good long look at the ball joints too. They likely are on their last leg too. Same for control arm and stabilizer bar bushings.

Typical evidence that a Idler arm is done is the vehicle seems to pull always to the right and sometime hard. This is because when you get play in the idler arm it cause the passenger front wheel to point more outward. Anything can happen if pitman arm and/or tie rods or ball joints are gone too.

When I take a vehicle down for front end work I just do it all at once. Its not that bad in costs for parts if you DIY.

Just remember Relay Rod eyelets for tie rods ALWAYS point to the REAR of the vehicle when installed correctly!

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could've told you by just looking at the rusting of the idler arm that it was going to be bad. The GM 1/2 ton chassis just eats them up. That idler arm has been bad for years unless you just dipped your tahoe in the ocean 5 months ago.

Replace the Idler arm and pitman at the same time. Dont even think about using the elcheapo made in china parts. Youll be replacing them next year if you do. Get the AC Delco or Moog. I would be taking a good long look at the ball joints too. They likely are on their last leg too. Same for control arm and stabilizer bar bushings.

Typical evidence that a Idler arm is done is the vehicle seems to pull always to the right and sometime hard. This is because when you get play in the idler arm it cause the passenger front wheel to point more outward. Anything can happen if pitman arm and/or tie rods or ball joints are gone too.

When I take a vehicle down for front end work I just do it all at once. Its not that bad in costs for parts if you DIY.

Just remember Relay Rod eyelets for tie rods ALWAYS point to the REAR of the vehicle when installed correctly!
Oh its definitely been bad for years, my mother had this truck before me, she bought in early 2019 and the steering was loose then.

I checked the ball joints all around for play, wiggling the tire at 12 and 6 position, no slop. Took a big breaker bar beneath the tire and pryed up while looking, not even a touch of play.

And yes my truck pulls pretty hard to the right and wanders a ton! I guess this would definitely explain why! So I guess I'll be needing another alignment after this, just got it aligned like 3 months ago too when I got tires, but of course it didn't do much because of the worn components.

Sway bar links and bushings were replaced last month.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh its definitely been bad for years, my mother had this truck before me, she bought in early 2019 and the steering was loose then.

I checked the ball joints all around for play, wiggling the tire at 12 and 6 position, no slop. Took a big breaker bar beneath the tire and pryed up while looking, not even a touch of play.

And yes my truck pulls pretty hard to the right and wanders a ton! I guess this would definitely explain why! So I guess I'll be needing another alignment after this, just got it aligned like 3 months ago too when I got tires, but of course it didn't do much because of the worn components.

Sway bar links and bushings were replaced last month.
The alignment shop should have never even loosened the tie rod locking nuts to adjust if they would have done their job and inspected the idler and pitman arm, ball joints and bushings. Id be calling the manager and ask him if this is common practice for them to "align" an unalignable vehicle and not even bother telling the customer that the steering and/or suspension is worn beyond use. There really is no excuse for it. This is basic mechanics when it comes to steering and suspension.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total waste of money! Got this alignment done the same day I got tires at ******* pep boys, and I waited 5 hours for them to mount and balance them, and to do an alignment, what a joke.

In their defense I could've checked my suspension components sooner because I have been having the loose steering problem for so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne