Looking for a 2000-2014/New member looking for a Tahoe/Yukon and some good advice for towing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm currently deep into the research of buying a used Tahoe or Yukon. I have some things to consider that people here could hopefully help with. I am looking to buy a vehicle to tow a travel trailer with (21 foot, less than 3500 lbs-Jayco 184 BS). I have a $15,000 max budget. The main consideration is I do not know which is better to do, buy an older 2004-2006 with the 4 speed and around 100k miles? Or go top of budget to get a 2009-11 ish with slightly higher mileage. I am not sure of the trailering packages on them. Do all LTZ's have the trailering package? Do I even need it with a trailer that small? Some people say that 04-07 are great, others say I need to go 09+. I plan on definitely taking some longer trips with it, but still only plan on using it about 10k miles a year. Not sure if I should be nervous about getting an older model compared to a "newer" one. Any help/guidance is much appreciated! I live in southeast PA, and have a wife and 2 girls (7,6), and we plan on doing some adventuring....I used to live out west for 10 years so excited to get back there!

Of course, this one is a little over you max, they always are... :)

But if it were me, I would stretch for something like this one, if need be.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...0&trimCodeList=YUKON|Denali&clickType=listing

OP
OP
T

TheRook

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wow! Thank you all so much! I sincerely appreciate your time...As a newbie, this is invaluable, forgive me if I'm asking too many questions...So judging by what I can glean from your answers, the '07-'09 Denalis (both regular and XL), have everything I need in terms of being able to tow this trailer? They come standard 6.2/3.42 ratio/external aux tranny cooler, etc...Or do I still have to look for a "tow package". I have found a few quality candidates that seem to match all the criteria. A 2008 XL Denali with 116k, a 2008 Denali with 124k, and a 2009 Tahoe with 99k (this one has the heavy duty trailering package with correct codes). I recognize the XL probably gets the vote of my helpers here due to the length, which is noted....Again, I appreciate it. Judging by previous research and reading, that mileage is well within a reasonable range to get a decent life out of the truck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow! Thank you all so much! I sincerely appreciate your time...As a newbie, this is invaluable, forgive me if I'm asking too many questions...So judging by what I can glean from your answers, the '07-'09 Denalis (both regular and XL), have everything I need in terms of being able to tow this trailer? They come standard 6.2/3.42 ratio/external aux tranny cooler, etc...Or do I still have to look for a "tow package". I have found a few quality candidates that seem to match all the criteria. A 2008 XL Denali with 116k, a 2008 Denali with 124k, and a 2009 Tahoe with 99k (this one has the heavy duty trailering package with correct codes). I recognize the XL probably gets the vote of my helpers here due to the length, which is noted....Again, I appreciate it. Judging by previous research and reading, that mileage is well within a reasonable range to get a decent life out of the truck.

Surprisingly, not all Denalis have the external engine oil cooler and external transmission cooler so you have to check.

The Tahoe will do it but the 5.3 motor means you will be going a little slower up the grades and using a little more gas while towing possibly. Now, if you have the time, there was a special run of 6.2 Tahoes made in 2009. You might consider that your ultimate ride, especially if you want a 4x4 with all of those other features. They show up every now and then but most were so enjoyed by their previous owners that they have 150K+ miles on them. Not all mind you but most.

What state are you in? Are you willing to travel to get the perfect truck? We drove 800 miles for the first one and 2600 miles for the second.

OP
OP
T

TheRook

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Surprisingly, not all Denalis have the external engine oil cooler and external transmission cooler so you have to check.

The Tahoe will do it but the 5.3 motor means you will be going a little slower up the grades and using a little more gas while towing possibly. Now, if you have the time, there was a special run of 6.2 Tahoes made in 2009. You might consider that your ultimate ride, especially if you want a 4x4 with all of those other features. They show up every now and then but most were so enjoyed by their previous owners that they have 150K+ miles on them. Not all mind you but most.

What state are you in? Are you willing to travel to get the perfect truck? We drove 800 miles for the first one and 2600 miles for the second.
I'm right outside of Philadelphia....And yes, I'm pretty open to search!

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Perhaps we should mention the fuel specifications for the 5.3 vs the 6.2, which I understand drinks premium.

I like my power, but I don’t like buying fuel. Perhaps some of the 6.2 drivers will chime in on this.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we should mention the fuel specifications for the 5.3 vs the 6.2, which I understand drinks premium.

I like my power, but I don’t like buying fuel. Perhaps some of the 6.2 drivers will chime in on this.
The 2007-2009 Denali’s did not technically require premium fuel, which is why their horsepower was listed as 380 instead of the 403 in the Escalades, even though they had the same engine. That said, running premium is preferred. That way you get the full output the engine is capable of, too.

I don’t notice the difference in the cost of fuel in my budget between the Denali’s and my old 5.3 suburban. None of them are what one might think of as fuel efficient :) And for me at least, the added performance is worth the cost of premium fuel. But it’s a good point to raise that premium is preferred/required in the 6.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If it's flex fuel, E85 may be cheaper in your area than premium.

Around here, premium is about $3/gal and E85 is only about $2/gal

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TheRook

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats a nice looking vehicle....I think I'm leaning towards a Yukon Denali and not the XL simply due to availability and lower mileage. Seems as though they are all 6.2's with the correct ratio, only thing I am unsure about if I always have to check for that HD external aux cooling on the tranny. There seems to be a few with less than 115k that are all around the same price. All 07-09. Seems like they would all work. There is a 2007 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 about a mile away from my house though :). Always enticing, hahaha....

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the things i almost always do is if i have a budget i try to not buy something that is at the top end of what i have to spend, as there is almost always something that needs done, be it some maintenance , tires, oil change, aftermarket hitch, brake controller, trans cooler or whatever stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n