Buying advice for late GMTK2 ppv Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DefineLife42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all!!

I’m considering getting a decommished ppv Tahoe preferably for MY18-20 since it is toward the end of the generation however I do have some questions/concerns.

One of them being that living in the rust belt (NY) I would much rather fly down below Virginia and drive one back up so at least I can start with a clean frame however I’m a bit lost searching for dealers that either specialize in decommished police cruisers.

The other concern is the hours since I know on Fords it’s like 1 hour idle is around 33ish miles? Is it the same on Chevy as well?

The third concern I have is generally making it more daily friendly like adding the factory center console, possibly adding factory heated seats, etc and how viable it given my amateur wrenching skills.

Also, given the rather unfortunate nature of AFM ruining a perfect workhorse V8, is a chip “enough” to prevent a lifter collapse or am I better off just setting aside a few grand for the eventual failure and deleting AFM in general?

I would very much appreciate guidance/advice from people much more experienced than me. Thank yas!

Bigmike750

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all!!

I’m considering getting a decommished ppv Tahoe preferably for MY18-20 since it is toward the end of the generation however I do have some questions/concerns.

One of them being that living in the rust belt (NY) I would much rather fly down below Virginia and drive one back up so at least I can start with a clean frame however I’m a bit lost searching for dealers that either specialize in decommished police cruisers.

The other concern is the hours since I know on Fords it’s like 1 hour idle is around 33ish miles? Is it the same on Chevy as well?

The third concern I have is generally making it more daily friendly like adding the factory center console, possibly adding factory heated seats, etc and how viable it given my amateur wrenching skills.

Also, given the rather unfortunate nature of AFM ruining a perfect workhorse V8, is a chip “enough” to prevent a lifter collapse or am I better off just setting aside a few grand for the eventual failure and deleting AFM in general?

I would very much appreciate guidance/advice from people much more experienced than me. Thank yas!
Hello, I recently purchased a PPV and it has been a good time modifying the Tahoe the way i wanted it.. i installed the third row seats, and seat belts, new steering wheel, center console, Denali cluster, black Grill new head light harness, and i have a slew of upgrades yet to complete. The best person i found on the forum for installing the center console and getting it to work is @cmatt. He is a wealth Of knowledge.. sorry i could assist you on the rest.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
given the rather unfortunate nature of AFM ruining a perfect workhorse V8, is a chip “enough” to prevent a lifter collapse?
or am I better off just setting aside a few grand for the eventual failure and deleting AFM in general?
Both.
A plug-in will not prevent a lifter collapse, but it will delay it. No way of knowing by exactly how much, but it'll buy you some time.
Then start a cookie jar fund to replace the two-mode lifters at your next convenience - preferably before a big failure.

Do a used oil analysis to see if any lifter / roller metals can be detected in the oil.

OP
OP
D

DefineLife42

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Both.
A plug-in will not prevent a lifter collapse, but it will delay it. No way of knowing by exactly how much, but it'll buy you some time.
Then start a cookie jar fund to replace the two-mode lifters at your next convenience - preferably before a big failure.

Do a used oil analysis to see if any lifter / roller metals can be detected in the oil.
Yeah I heard stories that even with the AFM disable chip it won’t prevent the inevitable lifter collapse. I’m already pricing in a AFM delete and probably will go with a more aggressive cam while I’m at it.

Oil analysis is a fantastic idea, if I see any abnormal levels then AFM delete in the works. Thanks so much!!

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of a plug-in that only disables Engine Half@$$ / Cylinder Confusion - and doesn't even smell nice - look into getting your vehicle tuned.
Nevermind the parts of the tune that get suited to your taste.
ANY proper tune will help your TCC last longer, which helps your transmission last longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan