Looking for a 2000-2014/New member looking for a Tahoe/Yukon and some good advice for towing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice looking vehicle....I think I'm leaning towards a Yukon Denali and not the XL simply due to availability and lower mileage. Seems as though they are all 6.2's with the correct ratio, only thing I am unsure about if I always have to check for that HD external aux cooling on the tranny. There seems to be a few with less than 115k that are all around the same price. All 07-09. Seems like they would all work. There is a 2007 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 about a mile away from my house though :). Always enticing, hahaha....

All Yukon Denalis came with the 6.2 and 3.42 gears.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice looking vehicle....I think I'm leaning towards a Yukon Denali and not the XL simply due to availability and lower mileage. Seems as though they are all 6.2's with the correct ratio, only thing I am unsure about if I always have to check for that HD external aux cooling on the tranny. There seems to be a few with less than 115k that are all around the same price. All 07-09. Seems like they would all work. There is a 2007 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3 about a mile away from my house though :). Always enticing, hahaha....
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a Denali *without* the aux trans cooler. I believe all 6.2 Denali's had them.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel mileage :

Difference in towing is substantial.

You quoting the EPA numbers? I average like 13 in my Denali. Only time I get close to 15 is with the cruise set at 65. Kinda sucks when coupled with the 26-gallon tank. When I punch it, I'd swear I can see the gas needle going down.

My 2500 Burb is also a gas guzzler, but at least it has a 39-gallon tank.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You quoting the EPA numbers? I average like 13 in my Denali. Only time I get close to 15 is with the cruise set at 65. Kinda sucks when coupled with the 26-gallon tank. When I punch it, I'd swear I can see the gas needle going down.

Hmm. Bill, have run some scans on the Denali with the Tech-2 lately?

My daughter gets 15 mpg @ 70-75 with Love's 93 in her Sierra and she's got a 6.5" lift, 3.73 gears and rolling on 35" Mud tires.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi Bill,
Those are actual numbers from my 5.3 and 6.2 engines in the same 2011 6L80E 3:42 Tahoe , to be fair both the engines were well tuned by BB. The Tahoe is well maintained thanks to some folk on this forum. I don't drive for mileage either.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Denali has a 31.5 gallon tank
[emoji6]

For some stupid reason, the half-ton short-bed pickups only get a 26. :(

Screenshot_20210506-080506_WPS Office.jpg

It's gotten me 13-14 for the entire 5 years I've owned it. It's ALWAYS remote started, and both my daughter and I have a "spirited" driving style.

Haven't played much with the Tech 2, James, but since you mentioned it....@swathdiver

1) Can I reset the engine hours with the Tech 2?
2) Can I change/delete the speed governor?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheRook

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a Denali *without* the aux trans cooler. I believe all 6.2 Denali's had them.
@Geotrash, is there a way to send PM's through this forum? I couldn't find one....I was going to ask you to take a look at a link for a car in VA if you had a chance....lmk, thanks! NVM, sent you a conversation....Forgive me I couldn't erase this post, only edit it.

Last edited:

pcwizard2600

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A lot of great info here. One thing I did not see mentioned is many of these will have the Autoride system (RPO Z55), which many fail with higher mileage or age. If this fails, the handling will suck if loaded . I have an '09 Tahoe LTZ and when mine failed I noticed a significant difference in the handling, and it can be very pricey to fix. They also make a conversion kit to remove the air shocks and replace with "normal" shocks. Since you have a budget amount in mind, it's one more thing to be aware of. Personally, as a tow vehicle, factory tow package and longer wheelbase are a must. Having had 2 suburbans before, the longer wheelbase makes a big difference in handling and ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rddixon