Looking for 2012 - 2014 Tahoe LTZ - Opinions Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Tahoe LTZ 4WD and wanted some opinions about factory options. Specifically, HD trailering, 2nd row captains chairs and sunroof.

Finding one with all those would be ideal, but seems to be a unicorn. I've found some with the HD trailering (additional fluid coolers, 3.42 gears & factory controller) but no sunroof or captain seats and vice versa. That said, I realize it's largely user preference, but would like to hear your opinions.

BTW buying a vehicle is still very frustrating.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the captains chairs can be swapped for the bench seat at a later time if that helps narrow down the search, they just have to be from the same wheel base tahoe/yukon/escalade, the ones from a suburban or xl, esv will not fit

also try expanding your search area some of us have found what we wanted farther away flew in and drove em home or had them transported.
Texas seems to have the most trucks out of the western states anyway

Reaction score
It might be easier to find what you want but without the brake controller. An aftermarket controller can be added rather easily

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd buy one with the sunroof you want... brake controllers and captains chairs can be added easily after the fact... adding a sunroof is a pain in the a**...

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Good to know on the captains chairs. The main thing on the HD trailering is the 3.42 gears. I can certainly add the other items. If I find one with a sunroof, that would be great, but I won't be cutting holes in the roof.

I've expanded my search to include Suburbans as well.

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be easier to find what you want but without the brake controller. An aftermarket controller can be added rather easily

@gooffeyguy Looking at the signature pic of your Denali, are those the original door moldings? It looks like the Escalade style? Also, did you swap on painted mirror caps?

Reaction score
@gooffeyguy Looking at the signature pic of your Denali, are those the original door moldings? It looks like the Escalade style? Also, did you swap on painted mirror caps?
Yes, factory moldings and mirror caps.

I think only the Escalades and LTZ models came with chrome mirrors

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a very specific combination of options, there are several websites that allow you to search for them through the used vehicle inventories. I've found four used vehicles (all purchased in the $20k-$25k range) over the last 5 years using Autotrader. Great site. Customized search for options, model years, mileage, distance, price, and you can set email alerts for when new listings pop up that meet your criteria.

The more specific your search parameters, the larger your search radius needs to be. When I was looking for a true unicorn, my Suburban 2500, I was doing a national search. Try finding a 2500 with the 3LT trim (no LTZ available). Very rare vehicle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a very specific combination of options, there are several websites that allow you to search for them through the used vehicle inventories. I've found four used vehicles (all purchased in the $20k-$25k range) over the last 5 years using Autotrader. Great site. Customized search for options, model years, mileage, distance, price, and you can set email alerts for when new listings pop up that meet your criteria.

The more specific your search parameters, the larger your search radius needs to be. When I was looking for a true unicorn, my Suburban 2500, I was doing a national search. Try finding a 2500 with the 3LT trim (no LTZ available). Very rare vehicle.
the problem is these idiots will list a vehicle and totally overlook those details so it becomes a very time consuming process even when I was shopping for mine I had mistakenly come to the conclusion that all Denalis come with a sunroof, hah nope although I would say 99.9% of them do. you will find a lot of omissions or errors in listings so I resorted to using a good vin decoder that would give me the specs I wanted
this is the best vin decoder I could find that is free, it will let you decode a few then it will think you are a robot and start requesting you to confirm you are a human with pictograms but the easiest work around for that is to do the "audio" confirmation, click the speaker and just type in the key word it plays much easier and faster than clicking a bunch of boxes
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin=1GCUKREC2FF201830

OP
OP
C

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I’ve found a 2012 Suburban LTZ 4wd. Hopefully the dealer and I can come to terms. It’s interesting, the 3.42 gears, trans & oil coolers are present, but not the factory trailer brake controller. I know an aftermarket one can be added, but I’m curious what’s involved with the factory one.

Anything I should keep an eye out for while inspecting it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645